cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Full and Differential Backups

sdcadmin
Level 5

Hello,

I need to know the best practice for this situation.  We have some backup jobs that run differentials during the week and fulls on the weekend.  Sometimes the administrators will add a new database to a paticular server.  This causes BE to fail the job because a full backup needs to be done prior to performing a differential.

In the past, I ran a full backup only on the new database and found out that messes up the restore process.  The last full backup only had one database instead of the normal list of databases and BE can't match the latest differential (which has the full list) to the latest full backup.  So now if a database is added in between full and differential backups, I wait until the next full backup to pick up the new database.

Is there a better way than just waiting or running a full backup in the middle of the week?  Running a full backup in the middle of the week is not phesible for some jobs because there are TBs worth of data and the backup can't complete overnight.

Thanks,

William

2 REPLIES 2

lmosla
Level 6

Just a thought... but could it be coordinated with the SQL admins to make it a practice of only adding new databases on Friday to reduce the amount of time they go unprotected by a backup?

sdcadmin
Level 5

That crossed my mind.  I think I will get with my manager and see if we can make that suggestion.