cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GRT Restore with Exchange Hosted fails

Jor
Level 3

Hello,

I have deploy Exchange 2010 SP1 in Hosted Mode in my organization, this mode does not work exactly like Exchange 2010 SP1.

So, i'm having a big issue with my Backup Exec R2 2010 (full updates). I'm trying to make a GRT restore of a message to a mailbox (same issue with all mailbox restore) and i have the following error message : "Unable to restore any content for mailbox because the Microsoft Exchange database that hosts that mailbox is offline or the mailbox doesn't exist"

Error code : V-79-57344-764

I tested with another mailbox and it's the same.

My account is administrator domain account and have all the good rights on my Exchange Server. I have already used this account to make mailbox import/export on Exchange.

I found this article : http://blogs.technet.com/b/sjimmie/archive/2010/05/02/exchange-server-2010-troubleshooting-issues-pa... and i tried the first EMS cmdlet but i have always my error message.

With Exchange 2010 SP1 (without hosted mode) GRT restore works like a chaim....

Any king of help will be hightly appreciated !

Thanks.

9 REPLIES 9

Jor
Level 3

Please, i really need your help ;)

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Did you contact Symantec support about this issue ?

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Can you see this blog of Microsoft for some security hints ?

http://blogs.technet.com/b/sjimmie/archive/2010/05/02/exchange-server-2010-troubleshooting-issues-pa...

Especially:

• When you are using account with administrative privilege to export mailboxes, you may get error on permission issue. The same symptoms may occur if you are using Backup software from third party.
    • Give the account that use for export/backup purpose, the required permissions to access to the user mailbox: Get-MailboxDatabase | Add-ADPermission -user "domainname\backupaccountserviceaccountname" -AccessRights GenericAll
    • Administrative Accounts (e.g. Domain Admins have deny access permission to users mailboxes by default).

Jor
    Level 3

Thanks @ZeroC00L I have not contacted Symantec support yet.

Like i said in my orginal post i have alreay tried this cmdlet from this article...and i have no problem to export/backup mailbox.

No one with hosted Exchange have already successfully restore mails ?

ZeRoC00L
    Level 6
    Partner Accredited

Ok, I think it is good to contact Symantec about this.

Can you restore to the administrator or backup exec service account mailbox ?

If you can, you can restore it, export it and import it again.

I am almost sure it has something to do with the GAL, with Hosted Exchange you limit the view of the GAL so that other customers cannot see other companies. Probably BE cannot see the user you are trying to restore to, and therefore cannot restore.

Jor
    Level 3

I have the evaluation version of BE so i don't know if i can contact support..

Yes, good point :) i can restore mail of my administrator account (used with BE). This account is not member of any Exchange Organization.

Yes, i think like you, the problem come with the GAL, BE consider that my users are hidden while they are in another organization...

ZeRoC00L
    Level 6
    Partner Accredited

Unfortunately I have read several stories that Symantec Support cannot help with issues if you do not have a licensed version or a maintenance contract.

Jor
    Level 3

Someone with hosted Exchange resolved this issue ?

Kevin_Cotreau
    Level 6

It is probably because hosting mode does not install the Exchange Management Console, which is required for GRT (if Exchange is on the same server as BE...see below).

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/exchange-2010-sp1-information-for-hosted-... (see what is not included in hosting mode)

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH61749 (this talks about the software requirements, see section 2, number 3: "Install Exchange Management tools (same Service Pack as on the Exchange server) on the Backup Exec server."

That second link is for Exchange 2007, but it is surely the same for 2010.

Install the Exchange Management Tools on your backup server as well as any other requirements like CDO. If your Exchange server and your backup server are the same, I do not know if hosting mode will even let you install the Management Tools, so come back and let us know how you made out.