cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GRT not working on Exchange 2003 sp2

Greg_McConkey
Level 3
I am trying to get off of the legacy backup method (works but taking way too long) but still want to have the ability to restore individual messages. I figured maybe most of the bugs had been worked out of GRT since they released it.  We have been using Backup Exec for about 10 years.

Exchange 2003 SP2 standard on Server 2003 R2 SP2 Standard.
Backup Exec 12.5 Rev 2213 on Windows Server 2008 x64 Standard sp1 with SQL server 2005 standard
Installed updates:
SP1
Hotfix 317412
Hotfix 317920
Hotfix 317053
Hotfix 317966
Hotfix 318328
Hotfix 319699
Hotfix 319237
Hotfix 320467
Hotfix 319239
Agent on exchange server: 12.5.2213.101. After installing updates on BE server I pushed the updated agent to the Exchange server and rebooted.

We backup to disk then duplicate to tape.  Just trying to get GRT working with B2D then work on duplicating to tape after that works.

I started out by just changing the options of the current backup job to use GRT instead of legacy. Backup failed.  So deleted the job and created a new one, backup failed.

Changed AOFO from auto to use VSS
Worked up until it was building catalog, which it would just sit there with no CPU or disk usage let it run 12 hours or so before killing that.

Made 2 separate backup jobs, one for the server the other for the Exchange store.
Server backup good
Exchange Store backup good
Go in to see if I can see the individual messages to restore, locks up the interface let it sit for 7 hours still nothing.

Fine, that didn't work 100% but I still need to get my backup on to tape to be taken offsite. Did a one off duplicate job and it been going for 5 hours and byte count hasn't changed in 3 hours.

Any one have anything else I can try?   Do I have to use CPS to make this work?  I haven't contacted support yet, thought I would try the forums.

Thanks,
Greg
1 REPLY 1

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Symantec's recommendation is to not use AOFO when backing up Exchange. I use it, and I use it successfully on 90% of my sites. Those sites giving me hassles don't run AOFO.
Remove it, and see what happens. You need to remove that option from your jobs, as well as Tools --> Options.