cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting BE to recognize added slots and tapes in VTL

James_Avery
Level 4
Greetings:

I'm pretty sure that this has probably been addressed before, but the search function sometimes leaves a bit to be desired.

Anyhoo...is there a simple means of getting BE (in this case, v12.5) to recognize that changes have been made to the VTL that it's attached to without restarting the Backup Exec services on the media server(s)?

Specifically in this case, I've added an additional 100 slots/tapes to the library, and I would rather not have to kill/restart the currently running backup jobs if I can get BE to see the changes.  Of course, if I have to, I have to.

Thanks,

Jim
3 REPLIES 3

teiva-boy
Level 6
 The only way I've gotten BE to detect new hardware is to shutdown BE, get the Device Manager in Windows to see the library, and restart BE.  

Make sure you have the appropriate LEO licenses!  

FYI, there is supposed to be more friendly VTL licensing in BE2010.  Currently a VTL and BE are not very friendly when it comes to cost.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
You might wnat to delete the device from the devices tab before shutting down BE.  When I enabled the portal on my tape library which changes my slot configuration, I have to delete the tape library from BE and then restart BE.  After this, the new slot configuration was recognised.

James_Avery
Level 4
I went ahead and just bounced the BE services on the two media servers, and the slots showed right up.  Looks like that's the only way to do it at the moment.   Hate having to kill jobs in progress just to add slots and tapes.  Fortunately there were only 3.

I do hope that with BE2010 there are some new and requested changes showing up.  We'll wait and see, tho'

Thanks,

j