cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP - HP Storageworks USB 72 DAT Drive not detected by BackupExec

Lance_Munro
Level 2
Hi,

I have been tearing my hair out trying to work out why Backup Exec will not recognize the USB attached HP Storageworks DAT 72 USB External Tape Drive installed on our server.

I have checked the Backup Exec Hardware compatibility list and it is listed as supported, I have reinstalled the hp sys driver for this device and it is detected in the Removable Storage MMC ok and is also listed in the device manager under tape drives.

I have installed BackupExec v10 Rev 5484 for Windows Servers on a Server running - Windows Server 2003 Enterprise.

I have attempted uninstalling BackupExec and reinstalling all to no avail.

All help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Lance
1 REPLY 1

Lance_Munro
Level 2
Well after doing some searching within this forum I have discovered a rather simple solution.

Apparently Backup Exec version 10 is not compatible with the HP Storageworks USB 72 DAT Drive, even though the Backup Exec compatibility hardware guide says it is.

You need to install version 10d before it will recognize the HP USB Storageworks drive.

It is a free upgrade and is available from here: http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/279332.htm

I installed this upgrade and it was detected and installed without a hitch.

Perhaps someone from Symantec could address this lack of information issue so that us poor techs don't waste a lot of time attempting to resolve a problem like this in the future.

Cheers,

Lance