cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec Nic Questions

Michael_Harris_
Level 3
Hi ,
I have a general question regarding the way backup exec is working. My understanding is that the backupexec server depends on the speeds of the nic. So lets say I create a backuptodisk folder on my SAN, and I am backing up data also located on the SAN (different LUN) Does it matter whether the Backupexec server is 100mbps or 1gbps. I know the gigabit is always better and matters in most cases. So does the backupexec nic speed matter if I am backing up data from Lun 1 to Lun 2. or Does the data somehow get passed through the backupexec server and then to the backup exec folder?
Please clarify for me as I can't remember the data flow .

Thanks
4 REPLIES 4

Keith_Langmead
Level 6
As far as I'm aware Backup Exec processes all the data that gets backed up, so all the data goes through the server, not just from the target to the destination, so yes the NIC speed does make a difference to the backup.

In fact, for reference, while it's not an accurate comparison. We had a setup a while back which was backing up to an LTO1 drive. We started backing up over a 100Mb network, and then switched to a 1Gbs network. After the switch the backups ran three times faster, which gives an idea of how much of a bottle neck the old network was introducing.

Keith

Shilpa_pawar_2
Level 6
Hi,

Refer the following information:
Both the switch and the network card must have matching settings, for instance, if the switch port is set to 100 half, the NIC for the server should also be set to 100 half.

If a full duplex backup is slower than the half duplex backup, full duplex may not be supported for the combination of NIC, driver and switch. Contact the NIC and SWITCH manufacturer for updated drivers, firmware, or other support documentation.

Another common cause could be the NIC driver. The NIC driver can be easily overwritten by an operating system service pack. If a service pack has been applied and the driver has been overwritten, reinstall the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) driver.

For more information refer: http://support.veritas.com/docs/231488

Thanks!

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
The data will pass through your BE server.
If you have your BE server and another server which is attached to the SAN, then when you use backup-to-disk on a SAN volume, the data passes from the SAN, over the network to the BE server, which then sends it back to the SAN server. This is not very efficient.
You could look at the Advanced Disk Based Backup Option, which allows off-host backup.
There used to be a ServerFree option too, which I can't find now...

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

We request you to update us on this issue.

Thanks,