cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP MSL2024 SAS Library not seen in BackupExec 11d

saridervish
Level 3

I have HP MSL2024 1 LTO-4 Ultr 1760 SAS Library connected to Wn2003 Enterprice 32bit server via HP P212/ZM Smart Array Controller.
Both LTO-4 tape drive and library are detected in device manager by Win2003 with Bus Number 7, Target Id 0, LUN 0  and Bus Number 7, Target Id 0, LUN 1 appropriately. Please note that library has higher Lun number as it should be. Windows Removable Storage Service RSS is disabled. 
But Backup Ecec 11d detects LTO-4 device drive as standalone device and does not detects library.
According to BackupExec 11d HCL  all shall works. The BackupExec 11d is updated with latest availbale be7170RHF37_32bit_300325 DDI  and SP5 is installed.
Could you please advise.

14 REPLIES 14

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

When I look in the HCL of BE11d I cannot find the MSL2024 LTO4 drive. The maximum drive is an LTO3.

Did you run the Device Configuration Wizard in Backup Exec ?

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi there,

I checked the HCL, and the MSL2024 1840 1760/1840 LTO4 drives are supported, with both SAS and SCSI...

However, if you check it out, it states in Note 1. that DDI 11d (11.0) 20061215 is required. What I would do is download the latest drivers, and install them. Once done, run the Device Configuration Wizard, and choose the option to configure your library. You can then drag the drive onto the robotics, and it should sort it out. For good measure, run the Device Configuration Wizard again, and then install the latest drivers.

@ZeRoC00L: Please just check before posting...it is quite clear on pg. 50 of the BE 11d HCL that the drive/library is supported as LTO4...

Craig

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Under the Windows Device Manager, did the library show up as an Unknown Medium Changer with a Microsoft driver?

saridervish
Level 3

Hi

thanks but as I stated in posted message:

Both LTO-4 tape drive and library are detected in device manager by Win2003 with Bus Number 7, Target Id 0, LUN 0  and Bus Number 7, Target Id 0, LUN 1 appropriately. 

And

The BackupExec 11d is updated with latest availbale be7170RHF37_32bit_300325 DDI  and SP5 is installed 

300325 is latest DDI. later than 20061215 ...///... ...

saridervish
Level 3

in adamm.log file both lidarary and drive are detected. But there is INVALID_NAME_ERROR under autoloader G3 library section.

And appropriatly in windows event viever there is event from adamm:

driver could not be loaded, invalid name..

Reinstalled BE 11d , all drivers... still the same error and lMSL2024 is not seen in backupexcec.

CraigV

When you updated the drivers in BE, did you run the Device Configuration Wizard to install the Symantec drivers?

saridervish
Level 3

First run DDI

then wizard

also tried to uninstall and install BE drivers via tapeinst.exe  utility of BE

saridervish
Level 3

0003:0007:0000:0000  Device Name             "\\.\Tape0"

Secondary Name          "\\?\scsi#sequential&ven_hp&prod_ultrium_4-scsi&rev_u52w#5&96d12ba&0&070000#{53f5630b-b6bf-11d0-94f2-00a0c91efb8b}"

Primary Inquiry         "HP      Ultrium 4-SCSI  U52W"

Serial Number           "HP      Ultrium 4-SCSI  HU1030BFA5"

Device Flags            KSCSI, SN(TYPE 1)

Device State            3, Online

Device IDs              1002, {74C1AD09-B715-4399-B36C-E5B552EE41D2}

Device Name             "HP 1"

Device Type             134283265, "LTO 64K (64K,10,0,E,HU)"

Device Features         0x001BFB7F: PB,SFB,SRB,WFM,SFF,SRM,PEOD,ES,EL,LU,E,SBS,DC,SDC,TA,HU,RR,W

Device Element          0, 0

0003:0007:0000:0001  Device Name             ""

Secondary Name          "\\.\Changer0"

Primary Inquiry         "HP      MSL G3 Series   4.90"

Serial Number           ""

Device Flags            KSCSI

Device State            1, Offline, ERROR = 0x0000007B (ERROR_INVALID_NAME)

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Stop all the BE services and use the HP LT&T program to run a diagnostic on the tape library.  Make sure you select the write test.

saridervish
Level 3

I have installed BE 12.5 and it has detected both library and tape device correctly!

But it fails to run test backup job... Single file backup hangs at running state so I have to cancell the job. Any advise?

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Instead of a test backup run the actual job and check if the tape drive shows a 

green icon (in use) under devices tab in the BE console.

saridervish
Level 3

Not sure what you mean but "actual job"

I run backup job and got job hunging..Tape drives goes green : in use. Load tape and starts to write data but after writing a few Mb it hangs...

CraigV

...are you in ANY position to upgrade your version? Does your maintenance agreement with Symantec allow for this? This could end up solving your issue.

I have also attached a TN which might be of interest...

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH24414

Lastly, 2 more things I can suggest.

1. Get hold of HP Library & Tape Tools and stop your BE services. Run the diagnostics against your robotics and tape drive and make sure there are no errors. If that doesn't work...

2. Completely remove your tape library from your system as follows:

a] Uninstall the library from BE. Uninstall the library from Windows Device Manager. Shut down the library, and remove the SAS cable.

b] Restart the server, and let it boot into Windows. Once done, verify that the library is not showing up in Device Manager or BE. Shut down your server...

c] Reconnect the library, and start it up. Let it complete the startup sequence. Start up the server.

d] Verify that the library shows up in Device Manager and BE, and try the job again.

If the above doesn't help, I will then escalate this for you...

CraigV

Any news here...?