cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP autoloader LTO/3

Francesco_Batti
Level 3
We have installed a new robotic library HP 1/8 LTO 3 (HP part number AF204A - Ultrium 960); we have Backup Exec 9.1 sp4a and the new package drivers found at document nr. 273853.
However Backup Exec see (and work fine) only the stand alone driver Ultrium 3, not the changer; I'm not enable to use the changer.

There are no drivers provided by HP for the changer. Any help?
10 REPLIES 10

Rucha_Abhyankar
Level 6
Hello Francesco,

Please refer to the following document for more information:

How to uninstall the Original Equipment Manufacturer driver for the medium changer in a robotic library so as to make it "Unknown medium changer"

http://support.veritas.com/docs/269214

Hope this helps!

==================

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Francesco_Batti
Level 3
Hello Rucha,

the changer driver is already "Unknown medium changer"; there is not loaded any thirdy party drivers.

Tomorrow 05.01.2006 I try the technical note n° 255501 and I leave a feedback.
Thank you for your answer.

Francesco

Francesco_Batti
Level 3
Hello,
I try all notes in document 255501, but the changer isen't see by Backup Exec. Any help? It exists a specific driver for the autoloader? It will be developed?

Thank you.
Francesco

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello,

We will wait for an Update from you..

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Thanks.

Francesco_Batti
Level 3
Hello,

I try all configuration of document 255501, but the changer isen't see by Backup Exec 9.1. The problem isen't solved. I think that a new driver is needed for this Autoloader.

Francesco

Ashutosh_Tamhan
Level 6
Hello Francesco!

If the changer is shown as unknown then it needs drivers! Have you tried installing the OEM drivers for your devices?

Also check if scsichanger service is shown as running under system information (Run winmsd under start->run). If the service is not running it might mean that it is a hardware problem!

Regards,
Ashutosh

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Francesco_Batti
Level 3
Hello Ashutosh,

Hp not give any driver for this device. The service is stopping, however the hardware is ok becouse with HP Data Protector give in bundle, the device work fine (tape and changer...).

I read that Backup Exec 10.1 work fine with this hardware. Why the drivers Veritas/Symantec not support the 9.1 version also?

Regards,
Francesco

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello Francesco,
Please note that even if a device is compatible or not compatible with Backup Exec, Symantec does not provide drivers for the changer ! We provide drivers only for the driver.

You need to install the OEM drivers for the changer, it is not a problem if the changer is seen as 'unknown', it only means that it is using the default Microsoft drivers.

Please check with HP for the changer drivers, they should surely be able to provide them !!

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

Joshua_Small
Level 6
Partner
Hi Renuka,

I am having trouble understanding you. You make two statements:
Symantec does not provide drivers for the changer !
You need to install the OEM drivers for the changer
END QUOTE

According to the tech note you linked, http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/269214.htm, I see the following statements made by Symantec:

To resolve hardware communication problems between Backup Exec and the tape device, it is recommended to install the latest Symantec device drivers for the tape drive and to uninstall the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) driver for the medium changer

This statement suggests we should NOT be installing an OEM driver for the changer. Which statement is accurate?

I ask because I have always used the OEM drivers.

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

- Could you please update us on the issue

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Thanks.