cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hardware Compression Turned Off

Richard_Prout
Level 0
I am working on an issue where Backup Exec is disabling hardware compression on my tape drive. Compression is still being done but by the software. I can see this is the case because the software is issuing a Mode Select command (seen in a SCSI trace) that disables hardware compression. This is the case on all tape drives I have tested.
6 REPLIES 6

Thomas_Cupps
Level 4
Join the club, I ended up breaking my back up down into two seperate jobs. You can do a search for compression & see that your not alone. You may however wanna try some of the stuff suggested in those threads.

if you find a solution, email me - thomas@3n1.com.

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello Richard,

What do you mean by Backupexec deactivates the Hardware compression? How and where did you see that?

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ?assumed answered? and would be moved to ?answered questions? pool.

Thanks.

Thomas_Cupps
Level 4
I turn the compression on using my tape drive utility. When the backup jobs launches The compression is then turnned off. As the guy above mentioned he sees this in his SCSI controller logs, I see it in my tape drive utility. All the previos post regarding this matter have said the same things.

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello Richard,

- Would you please Update us on the issue.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ?assumed answered? and would be moved to ?answered questions? pool.

Thanks.Message was edited by:
shweta rege

Systems_Admin
Level 3
We also see this. here is a screenshot from HP Library & Tape Tools:

http://indeego.com/tapecompression.png

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

Hardware compression is would work only if the device supports it.

You may contact your hardware vendor for the same.

Note:- if we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be assumed answered and archived.

Thanks.