cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hardware and Software Backup Compression

pcsdps
Level 3

I have tapes that have been created with an older DLT drive. I purchased a newer drive but it won't read any of those tapes. I have always used hardware compression to back up, would this be why? If I would have used software compression would that allow the olders tapes to be successfully read in the newer drives, or would there still be a problem?

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Are the tapes compatible with the new DLT drive?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Hardware Compression within drive type is supposed to be compatible, but I had trouble years ago reading HW compressed DLT10 and DLT20 tapes in DLT35 drives (all Compaq branded)

SW compression is manufacturer specific because of the proprietary algorithms the use, so if you go that route, you'll need to keep the same brand of software around as long as you need to retain the tapes, even if it isn't the brand you use on regular backups anymore. 

But as Amol asked, are you sure that your newer drive and the old media are compatible?  What drive type and what media type?

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...As a rule of thumb, tape drives write 1 version back and read up to 2, sometimes 3 versions back. So for example, and LTO4 drive writes to LTO4 and LTO3 tapes, and will read LTO2 tapes.

Chances are good that your tape drive cannot read the tape due to the difference in technology.