cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help no back ups!

julie_thompson
Level 3
Very pleased to find this forum! For the last month, my backups have been failing about once every week. Then last week they stopped all together. i set up a new job and tried that, i stopped and restarted the services, i rebooted the server and nothing is working. the new job i created monday worked, then didn't tuesday- it said the job was on hold.

Does anyone know what would cause this to stop working? i haven't had any problems since we set this server up. I am afraid something is going to happen before i get this resolved- so i am backing up the working data to an external hard drive for now!

thank you! julie
8 REPLIES 8

Keith_Langmead
Level 6
When you say that you're backing up the data to an external HDD, do you mean that you're able to backup to disk with Backup Exec, but not to tape? Or you're manually copying the data over?

If you look in alerts do you see any messages which might explain what's happening or point towards where the problem might be?

Under Devices is your tape showing as being online? Are you able to successfully run an inventory job on the drive? If not, try using NT Backup and see if that can run a backup, which will then help indicate if the problem is with the drive or the software. If you can't do a backup with NT Backup either then I would suspect that you might have a problem with your tape drive, which would also fit in with your symptoms of having occasional failures for a while, followed by complete failures.

mark_boardman
Level 3
I hate to reiterate but.......
I do not know much about this program but have you tried an inventory?
Have you tried to re-catalogue?

What happens when you try this?
try and run inventory and catologe "now" rather than schedule, if it works then (actually, even if it does not work) stop all of the services related to BE and restart them then try a simple system state backup "live" it wont take long and your users will not be affected, I have seen jobs on "hold" on my system before and stopping and restarting all the services and then running an inventory/catalouge seemed to work.

Sorry for all the different spellings of Katalouge, i went to school in northern ireland

julie_thompson
Level 3
i tried to back up on just a regular portable external drive- the one i use for school. it did back up some data but not all of it.
the the veritas tape drive is backing up some data but the back up tape notifications are telling me they are failing. i actually deleted a non important doc today and brought it back with the tape from last night.
i confess, i don't know much about the program. (the back up program) i can set up a job and recover data. i don't even know what inventory is- but i will look more into that.thank you for the tip- i will look more into it!

julie_thompson
Level 3
i have not did anything with re-catelog or inventory but will try. the only thing i have done was re-label all the media- retension them all, delete the old job and recreate a job. i ran several test runs and they fail as well.

like i said on the other post though, at least it is backing up data even though the notification is saying it failed. i will not worry as much about it this weekend now.

i did try to stop and restart all the services and that didn't help. i am going in tomorrow, i will try again and reboot the server. i have done that too, but it can't hurt. i will look more into the cateloging. thank you!

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Wht are the errror messages that give the reason for the Failure?

If you don't mind, can you copy a failed job log into a post?

julie_thompson
Level 3
here is a copy of the log. its a bit long. i have excluded the folders it keeps skipping- so i am not sure why it is still trying to back them up.
i was able again to pull some data of this tape- even though it says it failed. it is just baffling to me why it all of a sudden stopped working. i still think it has something to do with the timing of the last antivirus update i downloaded. i changed the name of my server to xxxxx- i know its probably safe- but wouldn't want anyone to yell at me! thank you!!!!
======================================================================
Job server: XXXXX
Job name: daily215
Job started: Monday, February 19, 2007 at 10:31:50 AM
Job type: Backup
Job Log: BEX01836.xml

Drive and media information from media mount:
Drive Name: DELL 1
Media Label: 215Monday
Media GUID: {2BB7F777-C0D0-491A-9C3A-849EEF237CAF}
Overwrite Protected Until: 12/31/9999 12:00:00 AM
Appendable Until: 12/31/9999 12:00:00 AM
Targeted Media Set Name: Daily

The media is being retensioned.
Media operation - overwrite.
Hardware compression enabled.
\\XXXXXXC:
Family Name: "Media created 2/19/2007 10:31:50 AM"
Backup of "C: "
Backup set #1 on storage media #1
Backup set description: "daily215"
Backup Type: FULL - Back Up Files - Reset Archive Bit
Backup started on 2/19/2007 at 10:32:05 AM.
The item C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Cookies\index.dat in use - skipped.
The item C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\History\History.IE5\index.dat in use - skipped.
The item C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\History\History.IE5\MSHist012007021220070219\index.dat in use - skipped.
The item C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\History\History.IE5\MSHist012007021920070220\index.dat in use - skipped.
The item C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temp\~DFDD8D.tmp in use - skipped.
The item C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temp\~DFDD96.tmp in use - skipped.
The item C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat in use - skipped.
The item C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Common Client\settings.dat in use - skipped.
The item C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Cookies\index.dat in use - skipped.
The item C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Local Settings\History\History.IE5\index.dat in use - skipped.
The item C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat in use - skipped.
The item C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\EENGINE\EPERSIST.DAT in use - skipped.
The item C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Reporting Agents\Win32\ReporterSvc.log in use - skipped.
The item C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\LOGS\BBConfig.log in use - skipped.
The item C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\LOGS\BBDebug.log in use - skipped.
The item C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\LOGS\BBDetect.log in use - skipped.
The item C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\LOGS\BBNotify.log in use - skipped.
The item C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\LOGS\BBRefr.log in use - skipped.
The item C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\LOGS\BBSetCfg.log in use - skipped.
The item C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\LOGS\BBSetCfg2.log in use - skipped.
The item C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\LOGS\BBSetDev.log in use - skipped.
The item C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\LOGS\BBSetLoc.log in use - skipped.
The item C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\LOGS\BBSetUsr.log in use - skipped.
The item C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\LOGS\BBSMNot.log in use - skipped.
The item C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\LOGS\BBSMReg.log in use - skipped.
The item C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\LOGS\BBSMRSt.log in use - skipped.
The item C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\LOGS\BBStHash.log in use - skipped.
The item C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\LOGS\BBStMSI.log in use - skipped.
The item C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\LOGS\BBValid.log in use - skipped.
The item C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\LOGS\SPPolicy.log in use - skipped.
The item C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\LOGS\SPStart.log in use - skipped.
The item C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\LOGS\SPStop.log in use - skipped.
The item C:\Program Files\Dell\OpenManage\Array Manager\VxSvc.log in use - skipped.
The item C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL$BKUPEXEC\LOG\ERRORLOG in use - skipped.
The item C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL$BKUPEXEC\LOG\SQLAGENT.OUT in use - skipped.
The item C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT\Data\BEX01836.xml in use - skipped.
The item C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT\Logs\adamm.log in use - skipped.
The item C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT\Logs\namesvc.log in use - skipped.
The item C:\WINDOWS\WindowsUpdate.log in use - skipped.
The item C:\WINDOWS\system32\h323log.txt in use - skipped.
The item C:\WINDOWS\system32\LogFiles\HTTPERR\httperr8.log in use - skipped.
The item C:\WINDOWS\system32\LogFiles\SMTPSVC1\ex070219.log in use - skipped.
The item C:\WINDOWS\system32\LogFiles\W3SVC1\ex070219.log in use - skipped.
The item C:\WINDOWS\system32\wins\winstmp.mdb in use - skipped.
Backup completed on 2/19/2007 at 11:05:40 AM.
Backed up 38656 files in 3214 directories.
44 items were skipped.
Processed 6,701,733,277 bytes in 33 minutes and 35 seconds.
Throughput rate: 190 MB/min
----------------------------------------------------------------------
D:
Family Name: "Media created 2/19/2007 10:31:50 AM"
Backup of "D: "
Backup set #2 on storage media #1
Backup Type: FULL - Back Up Files - Reset Archive Bit
Backup started on 2/19/2007 at 11:05:47 AM.
The item D:\Exchsrvr\bin\store.fcl in use - skipped.
The item D:\Exchsrvr\ExchangeServer_xxxxxx\ExchangeServer_SWAMPIG.edb in use - skipped.
The item D:\Exchsrvr\ExchangeServer_xxxxxxxx\MSS.log in use - skipped.
The item D:\Exchsrvr\ExchangeServer_xxxxxxx\tmp.edb in use - skipped.
The item D:\Exchsrvr\ExchangeServer_xxxxx\GatherLogs\priv32841B0C.56.gthr in use - skipped.
The item D:\Exchsrvr\ExchangeServer_xxxxxx\GatherLogs\pubCEB97382.56.gthr in use - skipped.
The item D:\Exchsrvr\ExchangeServer_xxxxxxx\Projects\priv32841B0C\priv32841B0C.chk1.gthr in use - skipped.
The item D:\Exchsrvr\ExchangeServer_xxxxxx\Projects\priv32841B0C\priv32841B0C.chk2.gthr in use - skipped.
The item D:\Exchsrvr\ExchangeServer_xxxxxxx\Projects\priv32841B0C\priv32841B0C.Hash.gthr in use - skipped.
The item D:\Exchsrvr\ExchangeServer_xxxxxxProjects\priv32841B0C\priv32841B0C.Hash.gthr.Dir in use - skipped.
The item D:\Exchsrvr\ExchangeServer_xxxxxxx\Projects\priv32841B0C\priv32841B0C.Hash.gthr.h0 in use - skipped.
The item D:\Exchsrvr\ExchangeServer_xxxxxxx\Projects\priv32841B0C\priv32841B0C.Hash.gthr.h0.Dir in use - skipped.
The item D:\Exchsrvr\ExchangeServer_xxxxxxx\Projects\priv32841B0C\priv32841B0C.Hash.gthr.h1 in use - skipped.
The item D:\Exchsrvr\ExchangeServer_xxxxxx\Projects\priv32841B0C\priv32841B0C.Hash.gthr.h1.Dir in use - skipped.
The item D:\Exchsrvr\ExchangeServer_xxxxxxx\Projects\priv32841B0C\priv32841B0C.Hash.gthr.h3 in use - skipped.
The item D:\Exchsrvr\ExchangeServer_xxxxxxProjects\priv32841B0C\priv32841B0C.Hash.gthr.h4A in use - skipped.
The item D:\Exchsrvr\ExchangeServer_xxxxxx\Projects\priv32841B0C\priv32841B0C.Hash.gthr.h4A.Dir in use - skipped.
The item D:\Exchsrvr\ExchangeServer__xxxxxx\Projects\priv32841B0C\priv32841B0C.Hash.gthr.h4B in use - skipped.
The item D:\Exchsrvr\ExchangeServer__xxxxxx\Projects\priv32841B0C\priv32841B0C.Hash.gthr.h4B.Dir in use - skipped.
The item D:\Exchsrvr\ExchangeServer_xxxxxx\Projects\priv32841B0C\priv32841B0C.Hash.gthr.idx in use - skipped.
The item D:\Exchsrvr\ExchangeServer__xxxxxx\Projects\priv32841B0C\priv32841B0C.Idm.gthr in use - skipped.
The item D:\Exchsrvr\ExchangeServer_xxxxxx\Projects\priv32841B0C\priv32841B0C.Ntfy2.gthr in use - skipped.
The item D:\Exchsrvr\ExchangeServer__xxxxxx\Projects\priv32841B0C\Build\Indexer\CiFiles\CiCL0001.000 in use - skipped.
The item D:\Exchsrvr\ExchangeServer__xxxxxxProjects\priv32841B0C\Build\Indexer\CiFiles\CiPT0000.000 in use - skipped.
The item D:\Exchsrvr\ExchangeServer__xxxxxx\Projects\priv32841B0C\Build\Indexer\CiFiles\CiSL0001.000 in use - skipped.
The item D:\Exchsrvr\ExchangeServer_xxxxxx\Projects\priv32841B0C\Build\Indexer\CiFiles\INDEX.000 in use - skipped.
The item D:\Exchsrvr\ExchangeServer_xxxxxx\Projects\priv32841B0C\Build\Indexer\NlFiles\CiST0000.000 in use - skipped.
The item D:\Exchsrvr\ExchangeServer__xxxxxx\Projects\priv32841B0C\Build\Indexer\NlFiles\DocId.Map in use - skipped.
The item D:\Exchsrvr\ExchangeServer__xxxxxxG\Projects\pubCEB97382\pubCEB97382.chk1.gthr in use - skipped.
The item D:\Exchsrvr\ExchangeServer_xxxxxx\Projects\pubCEB97382\pubCEB97382.chk2.gthr in use - skipped.
The item D:\Exchsrvr\ExchangeServer__xxxxxxProjects\pubCEB97382\pubCEB97382.Hash.gthr in use - skipped.
The item D:\Exchsrvr\ExchangeServer__xxxxxx\Projects\pubCEB97382\pubCEB97382.Hash.gthr.Dir in use - skipped.
The item D:\Exchsrvr\ExchangeServer__xxxxxx\Projects\pubCEB97382\pubCEB97382.Hash.gthr.h0 in use - skipped.
The item D:\Exchsrvr\ExchangeServer__xxxxxx\Projects\pubCEB97382\pubCEB97382.Hash.gthr.h0.Dir in use - skipped.
The item D:\Exchsrvr\ExchangeServer_xxxxxx\Projects\pubCEB97382\pubCEB97382.Hash.gthr.h1 in use - skipped.
The item D:\Exchsrvr\ExchangeServer__xxxxxx\Projects\pubCEB97382\pubCEB97382.Hash.gthr.h1.Dir in use - skipped.
The item D:\Exchsrvr\ExchangeServer__xxxxxx\Projects\pubCEB97382\pubCEB97382.Hash.gthr.h3 in use - skipped.
The item D:\Exchsrvr\ExchangeServer__xxxxxx\Projects\pubCEB97382\pubCEB97382.Hash.gthr.h4A in use - skipped.
The item D:\Exchsrvr\ExchangeServer__xxxxxxProjects\pubCEB97382\pubCEB97382.Hash.gthr.h4A.Dir in use - skipped.
The item D:\Exchsrvr\ExchangeServer__xxxxxx\Projects\pubCEB97382\pubCEB97382.Hash.gthr.h4B in use - skipped.
The item D:\Exchsrvr\ExchangeServer_xxxxxx\Projects\pubCEB97382\pubCEB97382.Hash.gthr.h4B.Dir in use - skipped.
The item D:\Exchsrvr\ExchangeServer__xxxxxx\Projects\pubCEB97382\pubCEB97382.Hash.gthr.idx in use - skipped.
The item D:\Exchsrvr\ExchangeServer__xxxxxx\Projects\pubCEB97382\pubCEB97382.Idm.gthr in use - skipped.
The item D:\Exchsrvr\ExchangeServer__xxxxxx\Projects\pubCEB97382\pubCEB97382.Ntfy2.gthr in use - skipped.
The item D:\Exchsrvr\ExchangeServer__xxxxxx\Projects\pubCEB97382\Build\Indexer\CiFiles\CiCL0001.000 in use - skipped.
The item D:\Exchsrvr\ExchangeServer__xxxxxx
_xxxxxxProjects\pubCEB97382\Build\Indexer\CiFiles\CiPT0000.000 in use - skipped.
The item D:\Exchsrvr\ExchangeServer__xxxxxx\Projects\pubCEB97382\Build\Indexer\CiFiles\CiSL0001.000 in use - skipped.
The item D:\Exchsrvr\ExchangeServer__xxxxxxProjects\pubCEB97382\Build\Indexer\CiFiles\INDEX.000 in use - skipped.
The item D:\Exchsrvr\ExchangeServer__xxxxxx\Projects\pubCEB97382\Build\Indexer\NlFiles\CiST0000.000 in use - skipped.
The item D:\Exchsrvr\ExchangeServer__xxxxxxProjects\pubCEB97382\Build\Indexer\NlFiles\DocId.Map in use - skipped.
The item D:\Exchsrvr\MDBDATA\tmp.edb in use - skipped.
The item D:\Exchsrvr\mtadata\AP0.LOG in use - skipped.
The item D:\Exchsrvr\mtadata\BF0.LOG in use - skipped.
The item D:\Exchsrvr\mtadata\db000003.dat in use - skipped.
The item D:\Exchsrvr\mtadata\db000005.dat in use - skipped.
The item D:\Exchsrvr\mtadata\db000008.dat in use - skipped.
The item D:\Exchsrvr\mtadata\db000009.dat in use - skipped.
The item D:\Exchsrvr\mtadata\db00000a.dat in use - skipped.
The item D:\Exchsrvr\mtadata\db00000b.dat in use - skipped.
The item D:\Exchsrvr\mtadata\db00000c.dat in use - skipped.
The item D:\Exchsrvr\mtadata\db00000d.dat in use - skipped.
The item D:\Exchsrvr\mtadata\db00000e.dat in use - skipped.
The item D:\Exchsrvr\mtadata\db00000f.dat in use - skipped.
The item D:\Exchsrvr\mtadata\db000010.dat in use - skipped.
The item D:\Exchsrvr\mtadata\db000011.dat in use - skipped.
The item D:\Exchsrvr\mtadata\db000012.dat in use - skipped.
The item D:\Exchsrvr\mtadata\db000013.dat in use - skipped.
The item D:\Exchsrvr\mtadata\db000014.dat in use - skipped.
The item D:\Exchsrvr\mtadata\db000015.dat in use - skipped.
The item D:\Exchsrvr\mtadata\db000016.dat in use - skipped.
The item D:\Exchsrvr\mtadata\db000017.dat in use - skipped.
The item D:\Exchsrvr\mtadata\db000018.dat in use - skipped.
The item D:\Exchsrvr\mtadata\db000019.dat in use - skipped.
The item D:\Exchsrvr\mtadata\db00001a.dat in use - skipped.
The item D:\Exchsrvr\mtadata\db00001b.dat in use - skipped.
The item D:\Exchsrvr\mtadata\db00001c.dat in use - skipped.
The item D:\Exchsrvr\mtadata\db00001d.dat in use - skipped.
The item D:\Exchsrvr\mtadata\db00001e.dat in use - skipped.
The item D:\Exchsrvr\mtadata\db00001f.dat in use - skipped.
The item D:\Exchsrvr\mtadata\db000021.dat in use - skipped.
The item D:\Exchsrvr\mtadata\db000022.dat in use - skipped.
The item D:\Exchsrvr\mtadata\DB000027.DAT in use - skipped.
The item D:\Exchsrvr\mtadata\DBREFS in use - skipped.
The item D:\Exchsrvr\mtadata\EV0.LOG in use - skipped.
The item D:\Exchsrvr\_xxxxxx.log\20070219.log in use - skipped.
The item D:\Program Files\sav\SAVRT\0826NAV~.TMP in use - skipped.
The item D:\Program Files\sav\SAVRT\0992NAV~.TMP in use - skipped.
The item D:\Program Files\Symantec\SMSMSE\5.0\Server\bm_ruleset.2.permit_rules.1171904955\brightmail_ref.1171905741.0.336 in use - skipped.
Directory not found. Can not backup directory \Program Files\\LJ낊毓剉LJ낊毓BRIGHT~1.428
ƦČ\㳘İ\\隀ij=傴Ǐ
\\\\㳘İ\\隠ij=僤Ǐ
\\\\㳘İ\\雀ij=儔Ǐurl and its subdirectories.
The item D:\Program Files\Symantec\SMSMSE\5.0\Server\bm_ruleset.2.spamsig_rules.1171906064\brightmail_ref.1171906341.0.336 in use - skipped.
The item D:\Program Files\Symantec\SMSMSE\5.0\Server\logs\bmserver.log in use - skipped.
The item D:\Program Files\Symantec\SMSMSE\5.0\Server\logs\conduit.log in use - skipped.
Backup completed on 2/19/2007 at 12:36:56 PM.
Backed up 82269 files in 6022 directories.
92 items were skipped.
Processed 17,502,571,402 bytes in 1 hour, 31 minutes, and 9 seconds.
Throughput rate: 183 MB/min
C:
Verify of "C: "
Backup set #1 on storage media #1
Verify started on 2/19/2007 at 12:38:32 PM.
Verify completed on 2/19/2007 at 1:06:59 PM.
Validating media data structures only, no CRC checksums present in this set.
Verified 38656 files in 3214 directories.
0 files were different.
Processed 0 bytes in 28 minutes and 27 seconds.
Throughput rate: 0.000 MB/min
D:
Verify of "D: "
Backup set #2 on storage media #1
Verify started on 2/19/2007 at 1:07:00 PM.
Verify completed on 2/19/2007 at 2:20:17 PM.
Validating media data structures only, no CRC checksums present in this set.
Verified 82269 files in 6022 directories.
0 files were different.
Processed 0 bytes in 1 hour, 13 minutes, and 17 seconds.
Throughput rate: 0.000 MB/min
Job ended: Monday, February 19, 2007 at 2:21:53 PM
Job completion status: Failed

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
The skipped files will NOT result in a FAILED backup, however the Directory Not Found" with the Chinese-looking characters will

Try creating a new selection list

julie_thompson
Level 3
i wanted all of you who helped me to know that with all your help, i finally found out what was going on with the tapes.
i cateloged , inventoried and did a quick erase on all my tapes (except one of course) and ran test runs on each one and then when they all worked, i had a GREAT  week. However, the second Monday tape did the same thing the second time i used it. come to find out it was popping it out and waiting for me to drive in and put another tape in.
solution was doing the whole thing over AND deselecting some stuff until we can budget for a bigger tape drive. now it is working just fine. thank you so much everyone!
julie thompson