cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help!

Sophie_UK
Level 3
Backups have stop working so in attempt to remedy this I thought Id start again from scratch by uninstalling then reinstalling the Tape Device to Backup Exec 11d

2003 server pics up the Quantum Superloader ok in device manager and detects the CERTANCE ULTRIUM 2 SCSI Device ok

However when I try to run an inventory, the job monitor just says running and when I check the Devices tab it flashes green "in use" for about 5 seconds and then disappears - this happens every 40 seconds or so.......

any ideas?!
12 REPLIES 12

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
try following this document http://support.veritas.com/docs/308627

If that does not resolve chaeck if there is any error  in the event log related to the tape drive
Aslo try installing the latest Symantec drivers

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
Try following this master documennt for hardware troubleshooting http://support.veritas.com/docs/255501

Gilly-Bhoy
Level 6
Partner
Hi Sophie,

Try the following:
Stop (if started) and disable the Removable Storage Service in Windows
Go into Backup Exec and run the device configuration wizard and choose to "use symantec drivers for all tape devices" and choose to use plug and play drivers.
Restart the Backup Exec services and retry the inventory.

Hope this helps,
Gilly

Sophie_UK
Level 3
no joy thus far :(

Gilly-Bhoy
Level 6
Partner

Sophie,

Is the autoloader actually loading the tape? (You would certainly hear it doing something if you were in the same room!)
Those superloaders are notoriously troublesome in my experience.
You need to establish if the Autoloader or the Backup Exec SW is at fault.

Can you run through the chain of events again and what is acutally happening?

When you say you uninstalled and re-installed the device what exactly did you do?

Gilly

Sophie_UK
Level 3
Uninstalled from Device Manager in Windows Server 2003 then scanned for hardware changes and reinstalled them. Launch Backup Exec, go to device tab, right click on QUANTUM 1 and run inventory, the tape drive makes a noise and then it just gets stuck on running  also the CERTANCE 1 flashed from green in use for a few seconds and disappears 

Gilly-Bhoy
Level 6
Partner
When you say you re-installed them how exactly did you go about this?
Where did you install the drivers from? Was it Windows or from within Backup Exec (Device Configuration Wizard).
Can you confirm that the Removable Storage Service is indeed stopped and disabled also!

Hope this helps,
Gilly

Sophie_UK
Level 3
RSS is and was disabled and I uninistalled from Device manager and then reinstalled in Device manager then in Backup Exec I ran the device coniguration wizard and installed them from there (downloaded the drivers from the Quantum website)

Gilly-Bhoy
Level 6
Partner

Sophie.
Run the device configuration wizard and choose to remove ALL device drivers.
You should be prompted to reboot after this wizard runs.
Reboot.
When the server comes back up you may be prompted by Windows to install the drivers for your Tape drive. DON'T! Just cancel it.

Download the Symantec drivers for 11d:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/300325.htm
Run the exe and then run the Device Configuration Wizard again
Choose to install Symantec Tape Device Drivers for All Tape Devices.

If prompted to reboot - do so.
If not restart the Backup Exec services again and retry the inventory.

Gilly

Sophie_UK
Level 3
Same problem - under slots in the Device tab it recognises the cleaning tape but all the others are <unknown>

Sophie_UK
Level 3
Im also getting

Label Library 00051 -- The job failed with the following error: Library error - incompatible storage media detected in robotic library

Gilly-Bhoy
Level 6
Partner
Sophie,

That sounds like a hardware problem with the Superloader 3.
If you followed the advise above and the hardware was ok you'd be up and running now.
Have you hardware support on it?

If you make a decision to change the hardware I recommend looking at the Overland Arcvault or the HP equal as those Superloaders are not great.

Best of luck,
Gilly