cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi CraigThanks again for

EgyHawk
Level 3

Hi Craig

Thanks again for your help,the servers are in the way,so wer are waiting.

Now I have some question :

Is it better to use CASO or remote agent for windows servers to backup backup each NAS over WAN ?

For remote agent option I need only two licenses for each NAS,RIGHT ?

I have some shared folders on each NAS Server,I'm going to full weekly backups and daily incremental,

Can I have a policy or there is an option for retention ? I mean every week the old full backup and the incrementals are removed and a new full backup is created ???

What is the sequence of jobs ? I have now the following :

Full backup on each NAS Server on Friday(to local disk)

Incremental Backubs Everyday(to local disk)

Remote Full backup for each remote NAS (to disk)

Remote Incremental Backups (to disk)

All the above Backups would be replicated to local TAPE DRIVE :((((

I feel it's complicated , If anyone have a better strategy I hope you will share it.

Regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Branched this off into a new discussion...

1. CASO is used to control a number of media servers that you have in an environment. For remote site backups, if you have a backup server on that site, you can centralise management of those servers on your main server by licensing, and installing the CASO option on a media server locally. From there you can initiate jobs, create jobs on MMS servers etc, or just use it to monitor backups from a central pane.

2. Ideally to satisfy licensing requirements, you need 1 license per NAS. If you have 2 on site, you'd need 2 licenses.

3. The policy creates a GFS policy (grandfather-father son / monthl-weekly-daily). During the set up of the policy, it asks you if you want to create a new media set with retention time, or use an existing 1. Using a policy is often a lot easier in managing backup jobs and media sets.

4. Backing up to the NAS will  normally be a bit faster, but check and make sure your NAS is supported on the BE 2010 SCL. You can also consider using iSCSI if the NAS supports it, and you'd back up whatever it is you've selected to iSCSI LUNs presented to your media server on each site. Once the D2D backup completes, you would need to create a new job that duplicates that backup to tape. Never back up the D2D files as it messes up catalogs etc.

Cheers!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

CraigV

Hi,

Branched this off into a new discussion...

1. CASO is used to control a number of media servers that you have in an environment. For remote site backups, if you have a backup server on that site, you can centralise management of those servers on your main server by licensing, and installing the CASO option on a media server locally. From there you can initiate jobs, create jobs on MMS servers etc, or just use it to monitor backups from a central pane.

2. Ideally to satisfy licensing requirements, you need 1 license per NAS. If you have 2 on site, you'd need 2 licenses.

3. The policy creates a GFS policy (grandfather-father son / monthl-weekly-daily). During the set up of the policy, it asks you if you want to create a new media set with retention time, or use an existing 1. Using a policy is often a lot easier in managing backup jobs and media sets.

4. Backing up to the NAS will  normally be a bit faster, but check and make sure your NAS is supported on the BE 2010 SCL. You can also consider using iSCSI if the NAS supports it, and you'd back up whatever it is you've selected to iSCSI LUNs presented to your media server on each site. Once the D2D backup completes, you would need to create a new job that duplicates that backup to tape. Never back up the D2D files as it messes up catalogs etc.

Cheers!

EgyHawk
Level 3

Great,

Now I needto get 1 remote agent for windows server for each NAS Server,

after I install theses agents,How can I configure the remote agent to backup the other NAS ? Fully and incrementally , or I can just replicate the already taken backup image on the remote NAS ? or this misses the catalogs ?

It's really difficult to write about a software theat you haven't seen before !!!

Knowledge is Power :D

CraigV

Hi,

No worries wink

You'd open up your selection list and put in a selection like: \\IP_Address\Share

Check the TN below for further information:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH55199

Thanks!