cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High CPU Utilization pvlsvr.exe

GrahamK
Level 2
I have recently installed 11d on a Windows 2003 R2 file and print server with a HP 1/8 G2 Autoloader.  The issue I have is that all the time Backup Exec is running, the CPU utilization is constantly high with both pvlsvr.exe and services.exe running at between 20-30% each, giving a combined total in excess of 50% which is relatively constant throughout the day, irrespective of what the server is doing.  I have applied all liveupdate patches and I am now at a loss as to what to do next, but would dearly love to see System idle time revert to more normal levels.

Any ideas?
5 REPLIES 5

Michael_McKenne
Level 6
Exclude it from your anti-virus scan.

I exclude all:
SQL processes
BE processes
Remote Agent processes

from real time scanning. 

GrahamK
Level 2
I've tried excluding everything from anti-virus and even disabling anti-virus, but this has no affect on the CPU utilisation of the processes.

Michael_McKenne
Level 6
I would uninstall/reinstall BE without patches.   Test it.  Apply each patch and test it.   I can see beremote and bkupexec being high utilization.  

GrahamK
Level 2
This is a bit radical!  It maybe my only choice.  I've since managed to log a support call, and Symantec technical support suggested a repair installation of .NET Framework.  I've done this but am waiting on when I can get downtime as the repair install wants a restart of the system.  I'll wait to see what results this brings first.

Michael_McKenne
Level 6
.NET repairs usually don't work and require a reinstall of the OS to fix them.   I personally want .NET dropped from programs.   CCC in ATI requires .NET 2.0.   It is just more overhead to clog up a server or workstation.   I ended up having to reinstall the x64 to get BE to work correctly.   I can't wait to see .NET 3.0 cause similar issues.