cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High network latency caused by CPS

Travis_Richards
Level 3
Recently our CPS backup job started causing high latency across our WAN links. Since September 1st, our ping times have increased by more than 100ms to some sites while the CPS jobs are running. Our environment:

-CPS 10d (10.1.327.1001) server backing up 5 sites
-4Mbps x 2Mbps WAN links
-Windows Server 2003 SP1
-BUExec 10d (10.1 SP1 Rev.5629) MS/Admin Console

Prior to Sep. 1 our ping times were steady at ~65ms, they now bounce between 90 and 300ms, causing major slowdowns for our users. On Sep. 1, the only thing that I am aware of that changed was that we ran Windows Updates on the servers to address the Opanki Worm.

If I stop the CPS job, the ping times drop back to a steady 65ms, when I start the job, the latency is back. We ran the CPS SP1 / HF5 update, but it did not help.

Is anyone else experiencing this latency issue?
Are there known issues with CPS and a certain Windows update I can try removing?

Our WAN team says CPS appears to be saturating our 2Mbps uplink, even though we have the job throttled to 50% of a T1.

Thanks for any advice you could provide to address this issue!
10 REPLIES 10

Travis_Richards
Level 3
Has anyone else experienced increased latency after a Windows Update to the servers?

Travis_Richards
Level 3
Do Symantec support reps monitor these forums or is it strictly user support?

Matthew_Valenti
Level 4
Good luck with responses for CPS. I know this is a very basic question, but did the patch turn the firewall back on? I noticed that we had a receint patch pushed that turned it back on that affected our backups.

Travis_Richards
Level 3
Thanks for the response, but I have already checked that. =(

Travis_Richards
Level 3
Any other suggestions?

Travis_Richards
Level 3
Is there any e-mail support for BackupExec?

Apparently the support reps don't look at the threads here...

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
There is no free email support for Backup Exec. For the free support, you're looking at it!
You can also pay for support, which lets you speak to real people.

I've never used CPS, but when it's saturating the WAN link, presumably that's just because it's catching up with transferring backup data. Once it's caught up, do pings return to a more normal response time?

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

We would like to inform you that the email support primarily handles the "Installation" and "Evaluation" issues of Backup Exec for Windows Servers (BEWS) version 9.x and 10.0. This includes the installation of the base product, Service packs, patches and agents & options only.Kindly note that the installation of device drivers and the issues pertaining to the drives on a licensed version, are not handled with this Electronic Technical Support.

Please note that you may be charged for telephone support.

Refer to the following link to contact Telephone support.

http://support.veritas.com/phonesup/phonesup_ddProduct_BEWNT.htm#phone

Note: Please copy the entire link to the browser to open.

-- Did you reinstall the Agents after installing the Hotfixes?

-- Is there any antivirus running durning the backup?

Thank You,

Shweta

Travis_Richards
Level 3
I have not tried re-installing the agent, I'll give that a try tonight.

Of course we have anti-virus running during the backups, we always have and always will. The only thing that has changed recently with our AV is the definition updates.

If you are implying your software will not work with AV, we will have to find a different backup solution.

Is it normally required to re-install the agent every time Windows Update is run?

Thank you,
Travis

Travis_Richards
Level 3
Re-installing the agent did not help. =/