cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Can I Restore Exchange 2k3 Snapshot Data?

Murph_Krajewski
Level 4
I've read through all of the documentation that tells me I CAN'T use RSG to restore VSS data for Exchange 2003. What I haven't found yet is how I CAN restore it.

I refuse to believe that BE 10.0 (5484) would let me take snapshot backups with absolutely no method for restoring them. Could someone please speak up on the subject?

Incidentally, we've recently changed our method to not use VSS, but we still need access to past backups.

Thanks, if anyone can actually help.
11 REPLIES 11

Swati_Joshi
Level 6
Accredited
Hi Murph!

Yes,restoring to a "Recovery Storage Group" is not supported if you have a snapshot backup.

But this is a Microsoft interoperability limitation due to the restore.env file that contains drive mapping information for the RSG recovery process, which is not available during a snapshot backup.

Please refer Microsoft documentation in this context :
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;824126

Instead, perform a Full backup of Exchange which can then be used to restore to a Recovery Storage Group.

Further, if you still wish to use snapshot backups then the procedure to restore Mailbox would be to install Exchange on another temporary server with the same ServerName, same Exchange Organisation name and same Storage Group name.

Take the Backup Exec server to the separete network as that of the temporary Exchange server and then restore to that temporary Exchange server.

Once done, use Exmerge to extract the concerned mailbox.

Hope this hepls you.

Thanks and regards,

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.Message was edited by:
Swati Joshi

Murph_Krajewski
Level 4
Thank you very much for your reply. We had previously tried all of those steps except using an identically named server. We'll try this and then I'll update this thread again.

Murph_Krajewski
Level 4
...just didn't want the thread to close due to inactivity...

Murph_Krajewski
Level 4
More trouble.

We've created an identically named server with corresponding Exchange information. In order to do the restore, we had to put the new server on it's own subnet, and the BE media server can't connect to the db from the 2nd subnet. Is there a trick there?

Murph_Krajewski
Level 4
We're going to try bringing up another SQL box, copy the db over, use BEUtility to point the media server to it, and try again.

This is more fun than one man should be allowed to have. :)

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

Let us know if the steps suggested have helped you achieve the desired result.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Regards.

Murph_Krajewski
Level 4
Please leave it open. This issue is STILL not resolved. Now we've had to order another standalone tape drive, and are working on installing it onto another physical box to locate it in our test domain and try AGAIN to do the restore.

This is just bad.

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi,

Please update us on the same and revert for any further Query

Thank you
Gauri

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Murph_Krajewski
Level 4
STILL not working.

Incidentally, for anyone searching for answers... you'll notice the initial, stock cut & paste reply above, and then very little actual help.

DO NOT USE SNAPSHOT BACKUPS FOR EXCHANGE.

Murph_Krajewski
Level 4
We've got 10d installed on a secondary media server, in a stand-alone domain with a DC and an Exchange server identical (name, structure, etc.) to the production box that we're trying to restore.

When performing a restore operation, we hit 497,196 bytes (usually just over 3 minutes of run-time), and the Veritas client crashes. The error that we get is:

EventID: 1000
Faulting application beremote.exe, version 10.1.5629.0, faulting module bedsshadow.dll, version 10.1.5629.0, fault address 0x0005b1c3

Does this ring any bells with anyone? PLEASE offer some help here...

Shilpa_pawar_2
Level 6
Hi,

When restoring a snapshot backup, all databases in a storage group must be taken offline. Take the databases offline and try the restore.

Had you selected individual databases for snapshot backups? Was the AOFO selected for backups?

Also note that redirected restores of snapshot backups is not supported.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.