cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I move Backup To Disc media to a Vault

GlennXS
Level 2

I would like to employ a strategy whereas my regular backups go to "Backup To Disc" media and then this media gets moved to DVD when appropriate; as follows:

1. Completely backup all machines of the domain (8 local/fixed machines; small domain), and then, ...
  2. Backup all changed files of each day during the off hours at the end of each day.
  3. After some macro period (e.g. a couple weeks, a month), do another complete backup of all machines.
  4. Upon completion of #3 above, move backup media of previous machine backups and modified files to a Vault.
  5. Loop back to #2.

Currently, i'm unable to move BTD media to vault (get an error) and a piece of the puzzle is missing; where/how is/does the BTD files get copied to DVD?  I'm just getting into the doc and i suspect that i'll resolve this but i'd appreciate any heads-up info' anybody could give me.

Thanks,

GlennXS

1 REPLY 1

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

See http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/286529.htm

You should  be able to create DUPLICATE jobs to copy the data to the DVDs.  Using DUPLICATE lets BackupExec keep track of  the  offloaded data, and lets you restore directly from disk rather than having to restore the BKF files, inventory, catalog and THEN restore the user data

Then rather than manually removing the data, set the OPP (Overwrite Protection period) for the media set(s) so that BackupExec can re-use the BKF files.  Be sure from Tools\Options\Media Management that the option to "reuse overwriteable media in the target media set before scratch..." is selected rather than the default