cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you restore Active Directory on SBS 2003 with Backup Exec 11d

William_2
Level 3
I am trying to restore User Accounts to a test backup system, so wanted to restore the Active Directory (via System State).
Trying in normal mode resulted in an error V-79-57344-65190 which indicates the server must be started in Directory Service Restore Mode.

I did this and followed the instructions in http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/236661.htm
section II. To restore the Local system State
however it refers to a Windows 2000 server which may be the difference.

Under "Directory Services Restore Mode" I can not start the Backup Exec services (even after changing them all to Logon as Local System Account) so can not run a restore.
Is there a more up to date set of instructions for Windows SBS 2003 R2 ?

Or alternatively is there another way to restore the user accounts, as I think I have restored all the "data" including Exchange data, it's just that any new users don't have accounts on the restored system.

Any help appreciated.

1 REPLY 1

William_2
Level 3
Is it realy not possible to restore the System State using Baclup Exec 11d unders Windows SBS R2 ?

Does that not make the product rather unfit for purpose, or is there another way to restore the Active Directory.

I have had to resort to using NTBackup in parallel, surely that's not the correct solution!