cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does BE handle backing up file shares?

Gai-jin
Level 3
We recently added a new file server to our backup job, with 100's of file shares (user shares).  When adding the server to the selection list, BE sees each share, and also shows the drive (i.e. D:) that the shares are stored on.  If I just check the box at the server level to backup the whole server, does that end up backing up all of those user shares twice, once as \\server\username and again as d:\users\username ?  

Or does BE recognize that the share and folder on the local drive are the same and only back up one?
5 REPLIES 5

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

does that end up backing up all of those user shares twice, once as \\server\username and again as d:\users\username ?  

never tried it using both at the same time, but I think it would duplicate the data

I've always just backed up the Admin shares (C$, D$ etc)  on all my remote servers

Gai-jin
Level 3
 That's what it seems like it's doing, but I guess I expected that BE would be smart enough that if I just check the box next to the server, it would back up everything on the server, not back up multiple copies of things. :(

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
An easy way to get around that would be to disable the ability to select user shares.  You can do this from Tools - Options - Network and Security.  Uncheck the box for Enable selection of user shares.  After you uncheck the box go to your job and deselect the server then reselect it, you should only see the drives selected now.

Frances_Clarke
Level 2
I cannot get User Shares to back up on a machine with no Remote Agent.

I have Backup Exec 12.5 installed on Windows 2008 SP2 64-bit machine. Trying to test out backup of user share on a Windows 2003 Server. Security/ Permissions of the share are OK, as the System Account can navigate to the share OK.
Enable selection of user shares is ticked.
Have 3 Network interfaces on the machine, have tried to allow any interfaces, have also disabled 2 interfaces so that only the one I want it to use is selected.

Error - Media Server could not connect to the remote computer.

As soon as I install the Remote Agent on the machine, the backup works fine.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

I cannot get User Shares to back up on a machine with no Remote Agent.

ever since v9 (v10?) Backup Exec will not connect to a ServerOS machine at all unless that machine has the Remote Agent service installed and running.