cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many versions or "sets" does BE save when backing up File/Folders?

johnjk07
Level 2

We have several workstations that it's been requested by management that we only backup a few critical files/folders on, instead of complete image backups.

Having used the disk/volume backup feature, I made the mistake of saying that you could specify "sets" with files/folders just like you do with discs/volumes, which doesn't appear to be the case.

I've setup a File/Folder backup job, and run it a few times. I can see it versions the files, but it's not clear to me when it will stop. How many past versions will it retain? Is this something I can control?

Thanks,

4 REPLIES 4

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
That would depend on how long you retain your data. If you ran 7 full backups per week, you would have 7 versions of a file. They might not necessarily have changed, but you would be able to restore any of those 7 before the oldest was overwritten! Thanks, !

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If you just want to back up a few files/folders from each machine, you might want to take a look at DLO.  This software will automatically sync files/folders from a workstation to a server and the licences are much cheaper than a BE RAWS licence for each machine.

DLO has its own forum where you can ask DLO related questions.

johnjk07
Level 2

CraigV - so when backing up only files/folders, there is no way to specify how many copies to retain?

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

John: Nope, there isn't. Your "versioning" in BE is done on a daily backup. A FULL backup backs up all files and folders specified...this is the only way you're going to get something like this. DLO, as mentioned by pkh, is what you should be looking for to do this.

Thanks!