cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Identify what Symantec Remote Agents are installed

BackupSystemGuy
Not applicable

Good morning to everyone! Our business is new to Symantec Backup Exec for Windows. As in we have had the trail version installed only for about 1 month new. We are transitioning from CA ArcServe Backup for Windows over to Symantec in incremental stages. My question is this, is it possible to identify what specific Backup Exec Remote Agents are installed on each Server?? I have a general list of all the Servers and what we manually installed, but there doesn't appear to be anything to identify specifically what was done. Our Accounting Dept is asking to pay for the License options used but they want something other than my handwritten notes. I know I installed different Remote Agents on some of the Servers, ie: Exchange or SQL, but every Server just lists the standard Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows.

Does anyone know of how to do this? I'm sure there must be a way to do so in the program itself, but I'm not familar enough with it to know. Any assistance or help with this would be appreciated.

Thanks. 

7 REPLIES 7

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

IN selection list you can right click on the server name and go to proerties to check the version of remote agent .the other way is to go add remove program on each server and select backup exec remote agnet and click on more info.

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

I know I installed different Remote Agents on some of the Servers, ie: Exchange or SQL, but every Server just lists the standard Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows.

Every windows server will show the same Backup Exec Remote Agent for windows, its the icense 

key which differentiates the functionality of the Agent. So to backup Exchange you will have to 

install remote agent for windows on the Exchange server and the license for Exchange Agent on the 

Backup Exec server.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

There is no way to identify which agent licence is used for which server.  You would just have to keep track of them manually.  The application agent capabilities are built into the remote agent and the licence key unlocks this capability.  For example, you have a remote server which is just a simple file server and you are backing this up by installing the remote agent.  You now install Exchange on this server.  To backup Exchange, all you need to do is to install the Exchange Agent licence on the media server.  This will unlock the Exchange agent capability on the remote agent and you can backup Exchange.  You don't have to push out the agent again.

rakesh_gupta
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Backup Exec have license assesment tool, which can help you here.

mrinal_sarkar62
Level 6

Hi,

Go to tools -> Install option and license key for this media server ->A windows popsup -> You can see the license(The license already you have provided) -> click next.

Here you can see the agents options against which you have purchesed under Symantec Backup exec <Version> and Licensed agent options.wink

Rest unlicensed(agents license not yet installed) you will find under - Option avaiable for trial (60 days).

I guess this is enough prove for you account dept. cool along with the paper license from Symantec.

Hops every thing is working fine.cheeky

Thanks

mitch_sprague
Level 4

Can you run this against multiple servers or it is a manual process?  I need to check a bunch of machines.

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

You need to run it on the media server only.