cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to backup a .pst file while outlook is open

Cengiz_Bingol
Level 3
Hi,

We have a operating system 2003 server. We have veritas backup exec 9.1 with Advanced open file option,
Agent for Windows Servers Exchange server
Agent for Microsoft Sql Server 2000, modules.
I have installed Backup Exec on Exchange Server. Some of user who use notebook have a outlook .PST file . I have to backup this .PST files . But while a configure Backup exec to backup this .PST file remootly if Outlook is open its fault. I see the error log on schedule job.

Is there any way to backup a .PST file while Outlook is open.

Thank you...
8 REPLIES 8

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Only by using the Open File Module, and I'm not sure that I'd trust an AOFO backup of a PST file.

Hermimio_Alcani
Level 2
This Open File Module, is it from Veritas? I can't see it from their list of options.

Simon_Armstrong
Level 6
Yes it's a Veritas (Symantec) product. The OFO is a seperate module that you can purchased. See the below link:

http://www.veritas.com/Products/www?c=option&refId=72&productId=57

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello Cengiz,
Please update us on whether your query has been resolved.
NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

Henrik_B__Haugs
Level 3
Hi,

I think that Ken said a little too nice.

You cannot trust a pst-file which is backup while outlook is open to be usefull in any way.

I have never seen a succesfull backup and restore of a open pst-file, AOFO (Advanced Open File Option) or not

/Haugstrup

Cengiz_Bingol
Level 3
Thanks for all messages,

I have purchased OFO module Veritas backup Exec.
I tried several times to backup remotely a .pst file while outlook is open. It couldnt ..

I checked the backup to disk folder wihich folder including the.pst file. Size of backuped file is equal to orginally pst file. But when i opened the backuped up file with outlook ı see error message that the file iss missing or corrupted.

Is there any way to backup remote .pst file while outlook is open

Thanks...

Cengiz Bingöl

Henrik_B__Haugs
Level 3
Like said before....

"You cannot trust a pst-file which is backup while outlook is open to be usefull in any way."

Sorry that you had to spend money to find out :(

/Haugstrup

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Please refer the following technote:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/233646

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.