cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to cancel jobs waiting for a tape

Artegic
Level 6

I have Backup Exec 2012 SP3 running on Windows Server 2008 R2 backing up several servers on a D2D2T backup plan with weekly full and daily incremental backups to deduplication store and linked copy jobs to a LTO tape library. Right now, because of problems during the last weekend, the last weekly copies to tape haven't completed yet. Consequently, all the daily copy jobs from last night are sitting with job status "Ready; No inactive devices available". This is inconvenient because it prevents me from looking at those jobs' settings, let alone modify them. Is there a way to cancel these jobs before they get a device?

Thanks,
Tilman

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...you should be able to place the other jobs on hold, and then cancel the job. BE 2010 used to allow you to cancel jobs from the Job Monitor (which is apparently coming back in BE 2014 which is going into limited Beta next week, and a much wider Beta in early March).

Thanks!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

CraigV

Hi,

You should be able to stop the current backup job. If this doesn't work, restart the BE services through BEutility.exe.

Thanks!

Artegic
Level 6

Hi,

I can cancel the currently running job alright, but then I have to wait for the next job to start, cancel that, and so on. As canceling a running job takes several minutes to complete this is quite time consuming. Another backup product which I have been using for a couple of years allowed me to cancel jobs still waiting for a device from the queue before they got a chance to start, which was much faster and also allowed me to cancel them in the order I happened to find them. I guess that's not possible with Backup Exec?

Thanks,
Tilman

CraigV

...you should be able to place the other jobs on hold, and then cancel the job. BE 2010 used to allow you to cancel jobs from the Job Monitor (which is apparently coming back in BE 2014 which is going into limited Beta next week, and a much wider Beta in early March).

Thanks!

Artegic
Level 6

Will live with the limitation until 2014 is out. Marking as solved. Thanks.

CraigV

Good stuff. I hope that BE 2014 is better received compared to BE 2012.

Thanks!