cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to configure tape device on Symantec Backup Exec2010

Rocky77
Level 4

Hello all,

I am new to Symantec and want to configure tape device to put the data on it. Any help would be appreciated?

Also how I can change the schedule of my backups?

2 REPLIES 2

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

from the devices tab, click on configure devices & then choose tape devices...complete the wizard by following the prompts...once this device is added, it would appear under the devices tab.

specify this device as the destination...

Edit the properties of the job OR edit the policy template to change the schedule...

King_Julien
Level 5

Hi there,

What do you want to do?

Are you able to see the library in Windows? If so, then you will be able to see the library in Backup Exec.

To create a job and then send send the data to tape, do the following:

1. Open Backup Exec.

2. Hit CTRL-B to create a new backup job.

3. The first thing you have to do is to select what do you want to backup, that is done under "selections", check filres, folders or whatever you want to backup.

4. Then, on "Destination"-"Device on media" you are able to select the target device, meaning Tape Library or B2D (backup to disk device) your tape library might be indetified as IBM1 and then you tape drive as IBM2, if you have more than on tape drive you will see IBM3, IBM4, etc... if you select IBM1, then BE will take any available tape drive, if you select IBM3, then BE will use the tape drive on IBM3 for backups.

5. The media set thing is about for how much time would you like to keep your data, take a look here http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH5459  for information about this topic.

6. On general, you can specify the backup job name, something like "my backup" and the type of backup you want to run, like full, differential or incremental, for more information, check http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH7665 for more information about this topic.

Got to work here, so I can no longer help you, but this is a start!