cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to disable the asking of permission to overwrite overwritable media.

Christopher_Sam
Level 3
Using veritas 9.1, We have a tape carousel. We just had to start using a blank catalog because ours became corrupt.

I re-created all backup jobs, but every single job asks for permission to overwrite all tapes, even new ones! How do we get rid of this alert, so it will go ahead and use all overwriteable media?

Thanks.
5 REPLIES 5

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Corrupt catalog or corrupt database?

To recreate a catalog, all you need to do is follow http://support.veritas.com/docs/272886

if you have selected Full or Partial overwrite protection, BackupExec will ask you for ppemission to overwrite "foreign" tapes. That is tapes that have data on them, but written by another application or another instance of Backupexec.

restore the \Catalogs folder then follow the TechNote, and you should be good to go.

Christopher_Sam
Level 3
Performed these steps with technical support a couple of weeks ago, they even took my database and tried to restore it, but could not due to level of corruption. No choice but to go on from scratch.

So, it sounds like we will either have to ive with it until we go through our 35 tapes, or we need to erase each tape before we perform the backup, is this correct?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
yeah, if you re-built the catalog from scratch, about all that you can do is move the tape to the scratch media set each night until you have cycled through all your tapes one time

Christopher_Sam
Level 3
What I figured, though even in scratch media, it still asks me for permission to overwrite.

Thanks for the info.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Have you set the global Overwrite Option to "Full"? Try "Partial" instead