cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to ignore offline media or remove warning

oskaremil
Level 4

I have a set of 5 USB disks in a rorating backup setup. All these have assigned their own station letter. 

On BE 2010 this was not any problem until I upgraded to 2010 R3. Now I get 4-8 warnings each day about media disconnected and going offline. I would think there was some option to prevent this warning but I cannot find any. I like tidy logs but now my alert log is cluttered with error messages about offline devices that are supposed to be offline. 

I have tried to define the disks as both Removeable Backup-To-Disk devices and standard Backup-To-Disk folders without any difference.

How can I remove these "false" error messages or, at least, tell Backup Exec "It's all right, pal, these devices are supposed to be offline".

5 REPLIES 5

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Not sure about the warnings but technically before 2010 R2 unplugguing USB disks was not really supported and was likely to cause disks to remain offline.

2010 R2 and later you should use standard B2D folders, (not the removable type) and then you don't have to worry about assigning drive letters, you just have to uniquely name the b2d devices on each disk and then use a device pool.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO55855

oskaremil
Level 4

I seem to remember that in earlier versions I could not assign the same folder for multiple devices, is this possible now ?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

I seem to remember that in earlier versions I could not assign the same folder for multiple devices, is this possible now ?

Not sure quite what you are asking

The B2D folder is considered a "Device" in BackupExec  (similar to a tape drive)

RB2D will only create the B2D folder in the root of the drive - one to a drive

For Standard B2D, you can specify the B2D folder anywhere on the drive, and you can have multiple B2D Folders (devices) on one physical drive

oskaremil
Level 4

It might be clearer if I explain my current setup,

We use 5 USB disks for rotating backups. These disks have separate drive letters and only one disk connected at any time, the remaining four disks are stored off site. Backup Exec marks them as offline, which is true, but since this is expected behaviour I don't want those alert messages to clutter my log. Also, I am not quite sure if Backup Exec automatically sets the correct disk as Online after R3 upgrade as I've had some problems with USB backup since upgrade (missed time frame, no available device etc...)

The first disk is assigned G: and is used in week numbers ending with 1 and 6.
The next disk is assigned H: and is used in week numbers ending with 2 and 7.
And so on...

These disks are located in a Device Pool, which is the target for the backup.

If I have G:\Backup Exec and H:\Backup Exec defined as two devices, one of them will go offline when I plug in the other.

Say I assign the same drive letter to all USB disks, and create G:\BackupExec1_6 on the first drive and G:\BackupExec2_6 on the second drive. Won't the first device become offline when I plug in the second disk, since the BackupExec1_6 folder does not exist on that disk ?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You should let each disk have its own drive letter and the B2D folder names should be different for each disk.  This way you can plug in multiple disks or one disk.  See my article on this subject.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/how-rotate-external-harddisks