cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to make Backupexec connect to a specific network adapter of the client server

DSI_GAUF
Level 2
Hello,

I am a Backupexec user. The server B that I want to backup has 2 network adpaters. I wish to backup that server B through its network adpater #2 only .
The server A is running BackupExec. When I add the server B in the backup job, I can see its netbios name.
When I start to backup from the server A, it connects to the network adapter  #1 of the server B.
I tried to add the IP address of the server B adapter #2 in the file HOSTS of server 1 but that does not make any difference.
Anybody can help ?

Thanks.
6 REPLIES 6

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
I don't think this is possible. I know you can set your media server to backup over a specific NIC, but not a remote agent.
If you had a second NIC in both servers, it's possible it could be done. You would do something like this:

1. NIC A on media server: 192.168.0.1 (main network card for normal LAN connectivity)
2. NIC B on media server: 192.168.1.1 (network card for backup VLAN)
3. NIC A on remote server: 192.168.0.2 (main network card for normal LAN connectivity)
4. NIC B on remote server: 192.168.1.2 (network card for backup VLAN)

You could target your backups over NIC B, and then either use the IP address of the remote server dedicated for backups, or add that in to the hosts file on your media server.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
You can set the RemoteAgent to "Advertize" to the media server on the desired IP address

See the Admin Guide page 816

DSI_GAUF
Level 2
Hi,

I cannot use Craig's solution because I backup several servers that do not have two network adapters.

Ken,
I am using a French admin guide and that might not be at the page 816. Could you please tell me the name of the section related to your solution?

Thanks.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Mmm...yep, my solution would be the "ideal". If you had 2 NICs, or could put in a dedicated NIC, it would work.

DSI_GAUF
Level 2
Hi Craig,

I finally tried your solution with a remote server having 2 NIC. The problem is that the backup server (192.168.1.1) cannot connect to the client server (192.168.1.2) because it gets the client IP address from the DNS that returns (192.168.0.2).

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

in English it is

Advertising to media servers, Remote Agent for Windows Servers

basically, you have the Remote Agent contact a media server by name or IP address.   Should solve your problem, also useful if you have multiple media servers and want specific Agents to backup on specific media servers only