cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to "name" your backup files?

Kevin_Nickson
Level 4
I'm trying to figure out how to rename the .BKF files for a particular backup job. Basically, I want to be able to force the job to name the .BKF file. Example: MAIL.BKF, SQL.BKF, FILES.BKF, etc.

I'm trying to script a duplication job from the command line, as my duplication jobs in 11D are taking about 3 times longer than in 10D. Instead of duplicating, I'm basically going to copy the .BKF files to a "removable backup to disk folder". Then I'll pull the SATA drive and get it offsite.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
3 REPLIES 3

Daniel_Bickford
Level 2
Kevin,
Just right click on the tape listing frrom the devices tab, and choose rename.  Type a new name, and you will then see the actual file name change along with it.
Hope that helps,
Daniel

Kevin_Nickson
Level 4
Daniel, thank you for the reply.  When I click on my devices, I can rename the existing files, but what I'm actually trying to do is determine the name of the file before the backup job starts.  Even if I can rename part of the file, I would still be able to script the duplication.  Right now, every file starts with B2D00XXX.BKF.

Other than checking the job log, I don't know how to tell the difference between the files.

Thanks again for the advice.

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
You can change the media labelling scheme for one media type, but that's it. Go in to Tools, Options, Media Management, and the option is there. You can't achieve what you are looking for like that.
One option might be to create separate B2D folders for each backup type, then target each backup to the relevant B2D folder. That way you'll know from the folder what the backup contains.
At least, this is all true on BE10 ;)