Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to restore document from Lotus Domino with DAOS

Dazza2910
Level 2

Hi there,

Looking for a bit of help.

I'm looking to enable DAOS and transaction logging on our Lotus Domino 8.5.2 server which we currently back it up with Backup Exec 2010 R2.

Turning on DAOS and logging looks straight forward enough, as does changing the backup job.  However, my query is that if I want to restore a missing email, for example from 2 months ago, how do I go about doing this.  At the moment, I just restore the NSF file from tape and redirect it to another folder.  I then open it and copy and paste the missing email(s).

With NLO files and logs though, I'm not sure what I need to restore or how I need to restore it in order to get the missing email(s) back.  I've been doing a lot of searching but not been able to find out yet.

Cheers

Dazza

5 REPLIES 5

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

I dont think restore of individual email is supported, but restore of single .nsf can be done..

Dazza2910
Level 2

So if someone deletes an email, it goes to trash for however long we have the soft delete set to (say 30 days).

If the email(s) they have deleted are no longer in their trash folder, does that mean there is no way to restore them??

That doesn't seem very good!!  Don't think I can useDAOS/logging if that's the case.

Dazza

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Have a look at these articles for alternatives ~

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21358548

http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=1681866

Dazza2910
Level 2

I know I still have to restore the users NSF file, that's no problem.

But if the file contained an attachment, then presumably that gets deleted when they delete the email, so I'd also need to recover the NLO files from the same time.  But how do I then get the recovered NSF file to see the recovered NLO files?  Does it all have to be done on a DR server and not the live one??

Cheers

Dazza

Saurabh_Gupta
Level 4
Employee

Dazza, try this. After you have copied the email to user's mail NSF, run listnlo command for that NSF on Domino server console:

tell daosmgr listnlo -o mynlolist.txt missing mail\usermail.nsf

This will create a file mynlolist.txt in the Domino data folder. This file contains list of missing NLO files. In you case, it will correspond to the email that you just pasted. Now select the missing NLOs in the backup set from where you had restored the NSF. If the missing NLOs are too many, consider restoring all NLOs instead of selecting them one by one which is time consuming. The unused NLOs will get deleted during the regular pruning cycle.