cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to setup monthly, weekly, daily backup

xadox
Level 5

After upgrading from 2010 to 2012 I have many questions. One of the ist how to setup a monthyl, weekly, daily backup job.

At the first weekend (saturday)  in a month I would like to make a full backup on tape. This tape should have an one year write protection.
Every other weekend (saturday) in a month should be a also full backup on tape, but this time the tapes should have only a write protection from 4 weeks.
At last the daily backups should be on disk with a 4 week write protection.

In 2010 I could define a rule that the monthly backups should be prefered from the weekly backups, but in 2012 I can not find such an option.

So at the moment I have definded 4-5 full backups for every saturday in a month plus daily diff-backups.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

When you configure BE 2012 to start two jobs at the same time, job which runs more frequently will be superseded by the job that runs less frequently. In your case on first saturday monthly full will happen as it is the job that runs less frequently among Weekly FULL and Monthly Full. Same applies to daily and weekly backups. Only thing you have to keep in mind is you must configure jobs to start at the same time and linking different media sets with proper protection with the jobs.

EDIT: Once configured, have a look at Backup Calender. Change the view to week and see the backups configured.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

SuperBrain
Employee Accredited

1. Create two media sets for Monthly and Weekly tape backups with 1 year and 4 weeks overwrite protection respectively. (Go to Storage tab - All Storage - Right click on All Media - select Create Media Set)

2. Configure the Schedule section of the job to look like this :

3. Configure the Storage section like this :

4. The preview should look something like this :

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

BE 2012 moved away from traditional GFS-type policies, and replaced this with workflows.

This is where you'd create your type of job you're looking for, specifically by adding stages.

Check the links below for further information:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH180232

http://searchdatabackup.techtarget.com/tip/Backup-Exec-2012-upgrade-features-new-tasks-improved-work... (Free registration to access this!)

Also check out the Admin Guide around this as it will prove to be very useful.

THanks!

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

When you configure BE 2012 to start two jobs at the same time, job which runs more frequently will be superseded by the job that runs less frequently. In your case on first saturday monthly full will happen as it is the job that runs less frequently among Weekly FULL and Monthly Full. Same applies to daily and weekly backups. Only thing you have to keep in mind is you must configure jobs to start at the same time and linking different media sets with proper protection with the jobs.

EDIT: Once configured, have a look at Backup Calender. Change the view to week and see the backups configured.

xadox
Level 5

Thx this answear I was searching for.