cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to specify Media Order in Device Pool for Policy Job?

Omniscient
Level 2

Hi all,

We have switched to external hdd for backup.

We have 8 in total. i.e. Backup1-8

8 Removable Backup-to-Disk Folders have been created (Backup1-8) - once for each hdd. They have been added to the "Daily Backup Pool" Device Pool, which in turn has been assigned to the Daily Policy Job.

When the job was first run - with Backup 1 connected it worked fine.

However the next day, when Backup2 was connected, an alert appeared asking the user to insert Backup5, if cancel is selected then the backup job fails.

If the User clicks Yes (without changing the connected drive) after a few seconds the alert will appear again asking the user to insert Backup7 for example, if the user keeps clicking yes to these alerts eventually it tries to use the correct connected hdd and the job runs.

Why is it not following the order of the Backup Media - and how do I get it to do so?

I need it to backup in order i.e. Backup1,2,3,4... etc

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

For reference:

• Backup Exec 11d Rev 6235
  • Windows SBS 2003
3 REPLIES 3

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Before running the backup job make sure you run inventory on the drive where you want the backup to run .

When you create Device pool and target a backup job to the device pool , the job will look for 1st available device and would start running on the same . So in you case the job goes the 1st backup to disk folder and incase if it is not busy it will try to run on the same b2d ,if it does not have overwriteable media it will prompt you for the same

Incase if you have any other job running on that b2d it will try to run on another one .

YOu can Create multiple backup jobs and target it to the backup to disk folder accordinlgy .

You can right click the job and click copy , to create copies of he job and then can change the name of the job , device and the schedule accordinlgy .

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If possible, you should upgrade to BE 2010 R2 which has a lot of improvemnts in the handling of removable disks.  It will automatically recognise a disk when it is plugged in and on-line.

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Could yopu please mark the post as resolved if it has answered the query !