cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to turn checksums off on Version 10

Nick_Crane_2
Level 3
All, Im trying to get more speed out of my disk 2 disk backups and want to turn checksums off. How can this be done in version 10? the ability to do so seems to have been taken out of version 10? I know you can turn this off on 9.1....
2 REPLIES 2

John_Chisari
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Seriously don't know why you would want to do this - even if it does give you extra speed - the only place it looks like it can be done is in the registry..

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VERITAS\Backup Exec\Engine\Backup\insert Checksum Streams change it to 0

Nick_Crane_2
Level 3
Agreed, its not the best thing to do, and im not sure if i will. Its just so I can log the figures to put in a report and how I can get the backup window to a reasonable level. If i may ask, at present i just backup all my servers to tape, during the growth of the company this has become silly (with the amount of tapes and the windows) so im trying to get aplan togther that does a D2D2T through a NAS box. When I use robocopy I get a 850MB/Min throughput (I have a gig network set up as a test) , However It would be better if i used backup exec cos then I can use a media set to control overwrite periods. Wirh backupexec i was only getting 100MB/Min..quite a drop off. So I was just testing, and i *think* one thing thats casuing the *drop off* in speed is prob the checksums, prob a few more as well. Im just goiung through a list...disk cluster size on the NAS box, NIC drivers etc etc....remember I am still gonna back up to tape, but the tape drive is gonna hang off the NAS box..allowing me to have 0ne tape drive and 1 tape (SDLT600) for *most* my servers. Prob need top set up a seprate thread for that querstion though.....Thanks for the reg info, thought as much but wasnt sure where the setting would be...Ill give it a go then let you know