Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I attempted to backup up my NAS box...

Leo2011
Level 4

Hello,

I attempted to backup up my NAS box and received the following error:

Final error: 0xe000846b - The resource could not be backed up because an error occurred while connecting to the Backup Exec for Windows Servers Remote Agent.

Make sure that the correct version of the Remote Agent is installed and running on the target computer.  If the server or resource no longer exists, remove it from the selection list. Edit the selection list properties, click the View Selection Details tab, and then remove the resource.

Final error category: Resource Errors

My question is:

In setting up the backup, I just went in and made the selection under the "User-defined Selections" (under Source - Selection).  However, when I go and test the Resource Credentials, it fails to connect.

I do not understand how it failed to connect if it is mapped as a drive on my network and I am able to connect from outside Backup Exec.   

4 REPLIES 4

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Check this KB - http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH148189

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I do not understand how it failed to connect if it is mapped as a drive on my network and I am able to connect from outside Backup Exec. 

You cannot backup a mapped drive.  A mapped drive is associated with an online session and BE runs as a batch job.  You should point to your NAS using its UNC name.

Leo2011
Level 4

I apologize but I believe I explained it wrong...

My users see the data resources as a mapped drive.  However, when I have to created the Backup Job - I selected "Selections" under the "source" heading.  I than selected "User-defined Selections".  At that point, my NAS is identified by the IP address and selecting it allows me to see the available shares.

After attempting another Backup over the weekend - I received the following error:

V-79-57344-3844 - The media server was unable to connect to the Remote Agent on machine 192.168.???.???.

The media server will use the local agent to try to complete the operation.

V-79-57344-65277 - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "\\192.168.???.???\GraphicsFiles". Advanced Open File Option used: No.

Remote Agent not detected on 192.168.???.???.

Also, in regards to the Knowledgebase article.  I am assuming if I make the suggested change - to redirect the listening port for NDMP - it will effect all my communication.  Currently, the only login error I am experiencing is with my NAS.   I     

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Try turning off AOFO for the job that backs up the NAS.  If need be, separate it from other jobs that uses AOFO.