cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can not connect to my unix server from Backup Exec. on my windows storage server

mwarner4020
Level 3
Please advise,

I am trying to add my unix server running solaris to the Backup Exec. on windows storage server 2003 R2 and just cant get connected. I have trotted off down many bunny trails so to say and have made no real headway to getting closer to uttilizing Backup Exec. to actually backup this server.

I have installed the license remote agent on the unix machine and have ensured that it is up and running.

Please advise me. I can ping the unix server from my windows server but can not connect or use the search app that came with Backup Exec.

Mark
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

Backup Exec only supports TAPE Drives connected Locally, I think you will have to install Backup Exec on the Stotage Server as the TAPe Drive is connected to the storage server.

About the Unix Bakcups: If you have the RALUS License for 11d (which Symantec has stopped shipping)
go to fileconnect.symantec.com --login and download RALUS for 11d.

Not needed to put the UNIX on Domain....just provide the root credentials to bakup exec and it will be taken care off...

Let me know how it goes...

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

I believe that you have install RALUS on the UNIX Server. Make sure that port 10000 is open on the UNIX box. Add the ROOT account in Backup Exec and access the box with the root account.

mwarner4020
Level 3
Thank you for your switft response, I will proceed with your suggestions and let you know.

Mark

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

as well as verifying that the Remote Agent is running on the *nix machine, verify that the media server has a RALUS serial installed

mwarner4020
Level 3

Can you explain further how to verify (or install) that the media server has a "RALUS serial installed ?

Thank you for your response.

Mark

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

perhaps I should have said "license" rather than 'serial"

anyway, on the media server do

Help \ About \ License Information

mwarner4020
Level 3
I found only the following license information:

Backup Exec 8.x and 9.x agent for Unix  both installed and licensed

Nothing that actually stated RALUS.

This is Backup Exec 11d by the way.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Sounds like you need to purchase and install a v11 RALUS license, then

Have no idea where you can get a back level license other than one of the Auction sites, tho

mwarner4020
Level 3
Any idea what the difference is between the agent for unix and a ralus license? I am not locating information on "RALUS License" in the manual?

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

RALUS means Remote Agent for Linux/UNIX Servers.(RALUS).

mwarner4020
Level 3
OK,  this may seem redundant and rudamentory,  but can you please list exactly what is required to be installed on the windows storage server 2003 R2 machine and the Sun/Solaris machine. please include active directory requirements and/or passwd/group requirements...wether or not the unix machine has to be put into a domain - NIS or other...I know that the windows storage server cannot be a domain controller so....

any help would be greatly appreciated

Mark

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

If you are installing Backup Exec on Windows Stotage Server, you will require
1  : Base License : Backup Exec, RALUS License (No need to connect the UNIX machine in domain)
2  : Backup Exec account : Member of Domain Group and local admin on Storage Server
3  : UNIX ROOT password which we need to add in Backup Exec for Backing up UNIX Box.

Let me know if you have any queries

Dev_T
Level 6
Any news here?

mwarner4020
Level 3
Sorry for the delayed response - got involved in other projects had to put this one on hold for a few days.
It appears i have a list of things out of place

I noticed that all of my windows servers are in a workgroup and not in a domain....

Also, these exerpts make me think I have several items I need to address...

...Unix and windows servers must be time synched by Master-client or both clients to a mstr.

...in order to add Unix into Act. Dir. it has to be added to the Act. Dir. in the domain controller.

Since windows storage server connot be a domain controller should I be looking at using one of the other servers running windows server instead of the windows storage server machine?

Should I not be looking at adding the unix to Act. Dir. ? it doesnt seem like this should be this involved to get the Backup Exec. to recognise the UNIX machine.

please advise

mark

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

I would recomend you to install Backup Exec on a Windows Machine (Server OR XP) which is connected in a Domain and not in a workgroup.

By the way...could you please let me know the version of backup exec...

mwarner4020
Level 3
Thanks,

I appreciate your responses.

I am running Backup Exec. 11.d

I think running the Backup on one of the windows servers and simply using the Storage server as the destination for the backkups which actually has tape drives connected to it would be a move in the right direction.

Any advice on wether I need to put the Unix server into Active Dir. or use another method for connection/authentication...?

Thanks,

Mark

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

Backup Exec only supports TAPE Drives connected Locally, I think you will have to install Backup Exec on the Stotage Server as the TAPe Drive is connected to the storage server.

About the Unix Bakcups: If you have the RALUS License for 11d (which Symantec has stopped shipping)
go to fileconnect.symantec.com --login and download RALUS for 11d.

Not needed to put the UNIX on Domain....just provide the root credentials to bakup exec and it will be taken care off...

Let me know how it goes...

mwarner4020
Level 3
Thanks again I will get back with you when I can.

mark

mwarner4020
Level 3
Ok,

I have verified that I have RALUS installed on the UNIX machine but I do not find that lisence on my windows machine.

Any way to get the lisence number off of the UNIX machine via cammand?

mark

mwarner4020
Level 3
Hello,

So I have located the file that has all of the backup exec discs and license info.

Please advise on how to get the ralus license info onto my windows storage server. Am I able to do that from the ralus disc? run it on the windows machine or the unix - (its already installed on the unix) ? 

thank you,

Mark