cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I do not see the Utility Partition in the resource tree

Jim_DeCaro
Level 3
For a Compaq Proliant with level 5 RAID. The backup fails due to BU Exec attempting to backup the utility partition. I want to be able to configure the utility partition for backup or eliminate it from the backup resource list. I can't do either. There is nothing about this issue in the knowledgebase. Anyone know a solution?
16 REPLIES 16

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

What is the exact error message that you are getting?

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Thanks.

Jim_DeCaro
Level 3
There is no specific error message. The backup job log indicates the utility partition was not able to be opened, therefore it was not backed up. This results in the backup job "failing" .

I do not see the utlity partition in the resource tree list. I am looking locally on the same server where Backup Exec is installed and where the backup job is running for data on that same server. I am logged on as an administrator.

Jim

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
What exactly do you mean by "Utility Partition"

Can you see it in Windows Explorer, or is it like the Compaq Partitions that are not accessible through the OS, but only at boot time?

ray_littlefie1
Level 6
If a Utility Partition was created during the initial install, it should be visible via the Disk Management Snap-In of the Microsoft Management Console.
Nevertheless, if your getting an error about the Utility Partition not being there, and you cannot select it in the GUI backup selection list, that go to the Text View(bring up the backup selection list and select the Text View Radio Button in the upper right-hand corner). Find the entry \\\ and delete it.

I personally never backup Utility Partitions; If I where to discover the Utility Partition had missing data, it's probably because the server is down, and I would need to reload the server before restoring the data from Veritas, so I would re-create the Utility partition from the vendor CD rather than restore it. (just my personal view).

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

As asked in the previous reply, can u see th eutility partitions in Windows Explorer?

Try taking the backup with ntbackup.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Jim_DeCaro
Level 3
I am not getting any errors messages at all. There is nothing that states that the utility partition cannot be found. The backup job fails because it is saying it cannot backup the utility partition. The utility partition does not show up in the resource tree when I am selecting what resources to backup. If it did show up, I would de-select it, however I do not have that option.

I will try the text view next time I have the chance.

Jim_DeCaro
Level 3
I cannot see the partition in Windows Explorer or in the resource tree, however BU Exec is failing a job because it is telling me it cannot backup the partition. I would just as well de-select it from backup if I had that option (which I don't).

Jim_DeCaro
Level 3
Please read the question again. No I cannot see it in Windows Explorer. Yes it is a Compaq partition. I would like to de-select it, but I do not have that option since it does not in the resource selection tree.

No error messages, the job simply fails.

Jim_DeCaro
Level 3
what do you mean by taking the backup with ntbackup?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Did you edit the selection list in text mode?

Can you post a cut and paste of the text select list and also a cut and past of the error message?

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello,

Please mention the exact message given by Backup Exec.

Regards

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Jim_DeCaro
Level 3
Once again----There is no error message. Please understand that there is no error message. I cannot post an error message because there is none. Please be sure to read my questions before posting a reply.

I have not had a chance to check out whether the resource tree can be displayed in text mode.

The Utility Partition did not show up in the GUI, therefore I cannot choose to unselect it. I need to know how to de-select the utility partition so that it is not included in the backup. I will try text mode next time I have a chance, but any other ideas are also welcomed.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
The backup job log indicates the utility partition was not able to be opened, therefore it was not backed up

cut and paste what ever BackupExec displays/posts to the job log. that leads you to say this. (This is what is meant by an "error message")

If you cannot see a non-database resource in Windows Explorer, backup Exec will not be able to back it up, since it uses standard file access fo grab flat files.

It is a known "feature" that the GUI view of a select list is next to useless for deleting resources from the List, that's why we keep asking what the Text View indicates.

Ashutosh_Tamhan
Level 6
Hello Jim!

Does this technote help?
http://support.veritas.com/docs/258679

Regards,
Ashutosh

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Jim_DeCaro
Level 3
No it is not helpful. The server is local---not remote. no firewall. please read my question entirely, as I had mentioned this.

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

You had earlier asked: The backup job fails because it is saying it cannot backup the utility partition. The utility partition does not show up in the resource tree when I am selecting what resources to backup.

We need to know what exactly happens when the job fails? You have mentioned that it fails as it cannot backup the utility partition, so do elaborate the exact message it gives you. Did you try to check from the text selections mode in backup exec?
Refer to the technote below:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/255555

Try recreating the job and test if the problem persists. If it does, do specify details as to what all you backup in the job and the message received when the job fails.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Regards.