cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm trying to run 128 bit encryption on all backups to ta...

sandcor
Level 3
I'm trying to run 128 bit encryption on all backups to tape.  The backup jobs run from a policy that backups up remote systems to disk.  A duplicate backup job then runs later in the day from the disk to tape that runs encryption.

I tested encryption using a single job and that job completes successfully everytime.  However all other jobs fail during the duplicate phase.  Here is the error -

Job ended: Thursday, August 30, 2007 at 2:09:03 AM Completed status: Failed Final error: 0xe0000f0c - An error occurred when attempting to initialize encryption for job. Final error category: Job Errors For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-3852

Does anyone know what could be causing this?  The link from this error hasn't been any help.  I have attempted to recreate the encryption key, but the same error still results.
27 REPLIES 27

David_Bond
Level 5
Im currently doing my backups via a policy, first to disk, unencrypted, and then duplicating that to tape, encrypted.

David

sandcor
Level 3
My normal policy jobs ran this morning.  I'm now trying to do encryption on the orginal remote backup to disk.  I tested using locally attached storage and that job completed successfully.  I attempted to backup remote systems and this is the error I get now.

Error category    : Job Errors
Error : e0000f0f - A communications failure has occurred between the Backup Exec job engine and the remote agent when attempting to securely send encryption information.
For additional information regarding this error refer to link
V-79-57344-3855
All remote agents have the newest version installed.  This job completes succesfully if I remove encryption.

sandcor
Level 3
David,

How long is your encryption key?

David_Bond
Level 5
The key is set to 256bit.
I dont do any direct to tape backups (except for the backup server) so there are no remote backups that are encrypted. Only the duplication to tape are encrypted.
Have you got a firewall turned on? If so, try doing a test without it on.

David

sandcor
Level 3
My duplicate backup to tape says it failed even though it shows the correct amount of data being copied to tape.  I still get the same error -

Error category    : Job Errors
Error : e0000f0c - An error occurred when attempting to initialize encryption for job.
For additional information regarding this error refer to link
V-79-57344-3852
There is no firewall running on the server.

sandcor
Level 3
I've successfully backed up file, SQL and system state data to disk and then duplicated the data to tape using encryption.  No errors.  This was a stand alone backup and duplication.  Why do I get errors everytime I try to do this with a policy?

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Sandcor,

Just wondering but what OS is the SQL server running and what version of SQL is it you are using?

sandcor
Level 3
Windows Server 2003, R2 SP1
SQL 2005 Std Ed. SP1

Corbin