cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need help setting up a backup strategy from scratch

TonyWalthall
Level 2
My company has no self-contained backup strategy.  we currently use a subcontractor and pay for backup services.  I am in charge of developing a new, local backup plan.

Here is what we have :
3 Office servers (2 local in San Diego, and 1 in Boston)
A domain
SQL
Exchange 2003
Sharepoint
Server 2003 for Small Business on all these servers

Here is where each service resides:
server # 1 = exchange, SQL
server #2 = sharepoint
server #3 (off-site in Boston) = nothing as yet

I have 2 tape drives available.  We just bought Backup Exec 11d for windows servers (not installed yet), and we also have continuous protection server 11d & Remote Agent for Windows Servers.

Tape 1 is internal to server #1.

Tape 2 is external and not installed as yet.  I can put it on any server.

Anyone have a backup strategy for me??? I am completely new to this.

2 REPLIES 2

PHOENIX_2
Level 4
Partner
Hi Tony,

After seeing your infratsructure. i want to know about the followings:
1 - On which server your internal tape drive is attached. And what is the type (details) of Tape Drives.
2 - whether you have separate Domain controller or it was among one of those you have stated.
3 - Do you wish to have a separate Backup Server or you want to install on existing backup servers.
4 - What is the link between your local site and Boston.
5 - How frequently your organization access Mails, rate of change of mail messages.

You have 2003 SMB on all servers, so if you wish to apply Backup Exec then you must have Backup Exec SMB Edition.

Please provide me these information so that i can better hepl you out.

Thanks

TonyWalthall
Level 2
Thank you for the re-direct.

Tape drive 1 is internal on server 1.  This tape drive is a DLT VS160 internal tape drive that I assume uses a 160 GB tape
Tape drive 2 is external and not installed yet.  I was thinking of putting it on the spare winxp computer that is not a server (and has no services runing on it).  This tape drive is a dell powervault 110T that uses 200GB native/400GB compressed LTO ultrium 2 tapes.

Mail is accessed 8 am to 5pm consistently for 20 users on the domain.

Domain controller is server 1 I think.

I have a new, spare computer running winxp that I can use as a computer to run all the backups onto.  It has nothing on it  right now.  It is has 220 GB of hard drive space.  It has a duo core CPU 1.8 GHz, 2GB of RAM.

Server 1 shows Exchange, Active directory, Trend Micro Admin console.

Server 2 shows IIs, voicemail (Inter-Tel), SQL.

Server 1 = Server2003 for small business, Service pack 2.  3 GHz CPU, 4GB RAM.
Drive C:  16.5 GB of data / capacity is 34.9 GB
Drive D:  23.9 GB of data / capacity is 78.1 GB (exchange)
Drive E:  61.6 GB of data / capacity is 263 GB
Drive F:  657 MB of data / 33.2 GB capacity

Server 2 = Server 2003, R2, Service pack 2.  3GHz CPU, 4GB of RAM.
Drive C:  10.6 Gb of data / 12 GB capacity
Drive D:  202 GB of data / 203 GB capacity
Drive E:  17.7 GB of data / 21.3 GB capacity
I have 4 Hard Drives ready to go into this machine.  It will add 73GB x 4 into the memory of this system.

I have 10 tapes for tape drive 1.

I have 10 tapes for tape drive 2.

This gives us 2 weeks worth of tape backup, with 2 tapes running every night.

Hours of operation are 8 AM to 5 PM PST.  Monday - Friday only.  Weekend employee use of email and internet services in all locations would be minimal.

Boston uses VPN services off of server 1.  Boston uses Internet and domain services off of server 1

Boston uses our exchange server and our domain.

Boston has its own "server" which is only a winxp computer.  It has shares on it that are accessed in Boston and can be accessed by San Diego as well.  Backup of this Boston computer would be needed as well.

The only other "server" is another winxp computer in SAan Diego that is used to control the Inter-Tel phone system information.  Voicemail, etc.  It would be nice to back that computer up as well.

That is all our data that needs backup - other servers are leased off-site and are backed up by our vendor.  I do not need to touch those servers.

Message Edited by TonyWalthall on 11-02-2007 09:20 AM

Message Edited by TonyWalthall on 11-02-2007 09:23 AM

Message Edited by TonyWalthall on 11-02-2007 09:27 AM