Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IBM Ultrium LTO3 Running Slow

gjohnson71
Level 3
Partner

Hello All,

I have a problem that I cannot figure out.  I have a brand new Dell PowerVault 110T LTO-3

(http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/pvaul_110tlto3?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd)

Backup Exec 12.5 (just upgraded from 11d) Windows SBS. 

The driver that I am using is Symantec.

Driver Date: 9/5/2006

Driver Version: 5.0.22.0

It is attached to an Adaptec 39160 SCSI Card.  Which I just updated to the latest driver. 

The server is a Dell PowerEdge 2600. 

I ran a test with Dell (rwrite) that basically took them out of the picture.  With that test they were getting about 77MB/sec.  That is about the advertised speed.  I realize that I won't get that speed doing a backup, but currently I am getting about 650MB/min.  That is about 10MB/sec.  I would think I could get something better.

Here's how I have the backup job setup.

1.  Compression: Hardware (if available, otherwise none)

2.  Exchange 2003: not doing GRT

checked - Perform consistency check before backup when using Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) snapshot provider

checked - continure with backup of consistency check fails

3. AOFO is not checked.  When I did check it the backup wouldn't even start.  Does AOFO come automatically with the SBS version?

Server options:

1. Not using VSS.  In fact that service is disabled. Not sure if I need that enabled to run AOFO. 

We recently replace a PowerVault 110T LTO-2 to increase the size of data we could fit on a tape.  I was getting about 800 MB/min (13MB/sec).  I was hoping to get a boost in speed as well as a boost in capacity. 

Are there other options beside a different backup program that I can try?  Also I can't seem to find a support phone number to call on this website.  Please forward that info, if you have it.

Thanks.

-Greg

4 REPLIES 4

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Also I can't seem to find a support phone number to call on this website.  Please forward that info, if you have it.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/contact_techsupp_numbers.jsp?pid=15047

As for throughput 

network or local backups?

from the devices tab, right click the drive properties

what are the settings for block size, buffere size and number of buffers

also the single block settings

gjohnson71
Level 3
Partner

Thank you for the reply.  The backup is one TBU attached to the server.  No network drives are being backed up.  The SCSI card is Adaptec 39160.

block size: 64KB

buffere size: 64KB

Buffer Count: 10

High Water Count: 0

Single block settings:

Read single block mode: unchecked

Write single block mode: checked

Read SCSI pass-through: unchecked

Write SCSI pass-through mode: checked

Do these look right to you?

-Greg

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

I'd probably set the buffer to 256K or 512K, if you have plenty of RAM in the media server

But  Write single block mode: checked  will absolutely kill throughtput, since it basically ignores any other blocking parameters  so BackupExec will read a block, write a block, read a block, write a block, etc

gjohnson71
Level 3
Partner

Thanks, Ken.

I made those changes and will try again tonight.  Will post back with the results.

-Greg