cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IDR Diskettes

Nick_Terry
Level 3
Partner
What exactly is on the IDR diskettes that you create with the IDR Preparation Wizard? Can't I just create a simliar thing using the files in disaster recovery folders (e.g. C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT\IDR\Data\ and the alternative location)? What would be the drawbacks if I could?

I'd like to create these disks with having to be onsite at the server so I would in theory just copy the relevant files over the WAN to where I can store them centrally and copy them to floppy if necessary. I currently copy the bootable CD images across so it would be great I could avoid a visit just to do the floppies. I have no plans to use the CASO as it is currently not suitable for my environment.

My post refers to VBE 9.x and 10 for Windows Servers and Windows 2000 and 2003 Server.

Thanks for any help you can give.
5 REPLIES 5

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Preparing the media for Intelligent Disaster Recovery (IDR) which includes creation of a bootable CD, creation of IDR diskettes and updating the IDR diskettes.

Summary of what needs to be done:

1. Run a full backup of server
2. Create a bootable CD
3. Burn the bootable ISO image to CD
4. Create the IDR diskettes (Required for Windows XP/Windows 2003)
5. Periodically update the IDR diskettes

IDR diskettes includes Windows Automated System Recovery (ASR) configuration files. The ASR files are necessary to recreate partitions on Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 computers during the recovery process.

You can refer the following technote for more information:
http://support.veritas.com/docs/268791

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Nick_Terry
Level 3
Partner
Hi,

Thanks for that. I've already read the IDR section in the administrator guide so know the details. You haven't directly answered the question though - just showed me how to prepare a computer for IDR.

I've read in the manual that you can still recover a computer without having created the IDR disks first - you just need to have access to the .dr file in the alternative location. What's the difference between just having this and bootable media and having a set of IDR disks and bootable media?

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello Nick,

The diskettes will include the system recovery configuration files which will help you in creating partitions on the server during recovery. The diskettes also contain the necessary drivers as well as the system specific .dr file. The bootable media and the recover diskettes together contain all the files required to recover a Windows computer.

In case of the local computer, it is necessary to update the bootable media after every successful full backup. In case of remote computers, you do not need to create or update bootable media until a disaster occurs so long as a *.dr file for the remote computer is available on the media server.

Hope this answers your question. In case of doubts, do revert.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Regards.

Nick_Terry
Level 3
Partner
Ok - so it sounds like you can't create the disks without going through the wizard (i.e. you can't copy the files manually to floppy disk - I guess this would be quite time consuming)? Maybe in future versions you could have the option to create floppy disk images in the wizard? Anyway, no worries - I've found another way to do it remotely. Thanks for your help anyway.

Chaitanya_Khurj
Level 6
Hello Nick,

If you wish, you may consider posting an enhancement request at
http://enhancement.veritas.com

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.