cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IDR does not work with Windows Servers shipped with Integrated Service Pack

steve_voller
Not applicable
Partner
We have many SBS 2003 servers and Windows 2003 Standard servers with integrated service pack 1. We use eithe Backup EXec 10d for SBS or Backup EXec 10d with IDR option and IDR does not work with :

Wndows 2003 SBS with Integrated Service Pack 1
Windows 2003 Standard and Enterprise with Integrated Service Pack 1

We have been trying to get IDR working in these environments and when creating the IDR boot media you cannot use any Windows CD with Integrated Service Pack

What is the work around for these problems ?
When is the hotfix due ?

I cant believe these issues havent been fixed yet because integrated service packs have been shipping since 2005!
11 REPLIES 11

Shilpa_pawar_2
Level 6
Hi,

Please refer this technote:
http://support.veritas.com/docs/283367

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Shilpa -

that technote only tells us what we already know - that slipstreamed install CDs are not supported

Since MS has been distributing them for at least a year, why does the POS known as IDR STILL not support them?

Michael_Pietr1
Level 3
Everytime I see someone struggling through IDR, I can't help but wonder why these people don't just go with a real imaging solution.

I have been using the Acronis True Image Enterprise product for months now and all my image restores to both similar and non simillar hardware have all been fabulous.

Just my .02

Michael

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi Steve,

Could you please update us on the same ..

revert for any further Query
Hope this will help you

Thank you
Gauri

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
What possible update can there be?

Your product is broke - fix it.

Joshua_Small
Level 6
Partner
Hi Michael,

Offtopic to the post, but:

The problem with Imaging based backups such as the solution you posted is that if you actually restore such a system, where that system is a domain controller, you are going to suffer from USN rollback, and that's a painful, serious problem to have. Refer here:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=885875

CALOGERO_SAPIA
Level 4
> What possible update can there be?
>
> Your product is broke - fix it.

Indeed, this is poor. None of the workarounds suggested here on the forums or in the KB work. To my mind the whole point of using backup software is to have a means of restoring a system in the event of a disaster recovery.

Will Symantec/Veritas ever address this issue - i.e. provide a patch?

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello,

We are aware of the Problem. However as of now that is the only Workaround provided. The Engineering Team is working on a Patch / Hotfix for the same.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Thanks.

Aaron_Davies
Not applicable
It is now August, any updates?

Well actually I can answer that - NO!

So how about a timescale for a fix?

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

As mentioned earlier Engineering Team is working on a Patch / Hotfix for the same ,however we cannot specify the exact date as of now.

Thanks

Craig_Pilkingto
Level 3
Hi there, just thought I'd throw my tuppence into the mix.

I've been using Backup Exec since v8.6. Now, while it is a great product, the IDR implementation is utter cack!!! Even back using v8.6 we had the same issues with IDR and SP-integrated install CDs. Why oh why has this problem not been addressed sooner. What about those people that 'only' have SP integrated install discs, what do you expect them to do after they have already shelled out their hard earned candy to procure this 'product', only to find that it's useless.

Please, devs....for the love of all that is good, get this hotfix out and ensure it's fully integrated into the next SP etc

I just created another thread about this as I didn't realise that this problem existed. Please can mods delete the thread.

Cheers

Craig