cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IDR error "OS type was not determined from E:\I385\TXTSETUP.SIF"

Sander_de_Bru1
Not applicable
Backup Exec version: 10d (5629) with "SP2" and "BackupExecTapeDeviceDriverInstall20061015_285593.exe" installed

Operating System: Windows SBS 2003 SP1 (integrated) Dutch.

When selecting the original installation CD in the IDR Preparation Wizard, I get the following error message:

"OS type was not determined from R:\I385\TXTSETUP.SIF"
"Kan het opgegeven brontype niet vinden in het kopiebestand."
rough translation: Cannot find source or resource type in copy file.

Things i tried:

I copied the I386 folder to HD and modfied the original 'productname' line "Windows Server 2003 voor Small Business Server" to "Windows Server 2003 for Small Business Server"

With this changed file, the IDR Prep Wizard gives the following error: "Language was not determined from SERVERNAME"

Like VERITAS said in support document ID: 266912"
"http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/266912.htm"
I changed the Location and also the Language in the Regional Settings from Netherlands to English (United States). But this also didn't work.

I suggest the Backup Exec developers seriously revise their OS and language detection code in a patch or hotfix. Relying on some language-specific strings in a text file does not seem to be a good idea to me. In the mean time, I'd to know if there's some way to work around this issue?
5 REPLIES 5

Keith_Langmead
Level 6
From when I was playing with IDR a little while back I think this is actually connected to a Windows problem rather than a Backup Exec one.

I believe there's an issue with Veritas IDR / MS ASR backups, where it doesn't work properly if the OS media you use to create the recovery media has the service pack slip streamed to it.

If you have access to a non service packed version of the installation CD it might be worth giving that a try and see if you get the same error.

Keith

M_P_2
Level 2
E:\I385 ? ;)

Anyway, MS created the slipstreamed SP1 Windows 2003 version in may 2005. It's Symantec's job to modify their software in order to work with a newer version, don't you think?

To me, it seems like a simple OS recognision problem, because if the Windows version is English, IDR works like a charm with the SP1 integrated version of Windows 2003.

Why it this so difficult for Symantec to solve? I think it's lazy.

When running the IDR wizard, It first fails on recognizing the Windows CD. If we copy the complete Dutch Windows CD to the harddisk, and change the "cdname" and "productname" in the TXTSETUP.SIF file with the lines from the English TXTSETUP.SIF file, IDR will continue. So it's just a stupid recognision issue, right? We change "cdname" and "productname" from:
"Windows Server 2003 voor Small Business Server" to
"Windows Server 2003 for Small Business Server" (where the "cdname" line includes "CD-ROM")
...and the CD is recognized by the IDR wizard! It's too lazy.
PS: you can find "cdname" and "productname" in the TXTSETUP.SIF file, starting at line 16076.

The second problem sounds familiar: the OS is not being recognized by the Wizard. The problem is we don't know what the wizard is looking for. Strings in the registry? lines in a file? If we can fool this one, I think IDR is going to work for the Dutch version.

Any ideas how the IDR Wizard determines the OS language?
Thanks
MP

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

Could you please update us on the issue?

Thank You,

Shweta

M_Duijkers
Not applicable
I have the exact same problem. Is there a solution or workaround available?

10.d for SBS server
patched to latest level
Microsoft Windows SErver 2003 voor Small Business Server (Dutch localized)

Joshua_Kane
Level 6
Employee
M Duijkers:

IDR does not support Dutch language. As per your users comments, you have changed your language to English in regional settings but you are still trying to use the Dutch OS installation CD/Path. Please use an English OS installation CD.

Joshua Kane
Symantec