cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IDR not able to see Media Server?

Eric_Lanyon
Level 4
Partner
I am testing a restore using IDR on a machine running W2K SP4. On the Media Server I installed BE 11D, IDR, Windows Remote Agent, etc. I did a Full Backup of test machine. I then ran the IDR Wizard to get the ISO. I booted off the CD I created from the ISO. I install networking using DHCP option, enter the Media Server Name, Domain, Admin User Login and Password. I click on Next and get a message: Unable to establish connection with the Media Server". One thing I noticed is that the Test Workstation is the workgroup named workgroup; my Media Server is in a different domain/workgroup name. Below is a snipet of the log:

: Error 1231 returned from WNetAddConnection2 when trying to connect to resource \\MEDIASVR\c$.
Error Message: The network location cannot be reached. For information about network troubleshooting, see Windows Help.

: Trying to connect to media server using resource name \\192.168.1.27\c$...

: Error 1231 returned from WNetAddConnection2 when trying to connect to resource \\192.168.1.27\c$.
Error Message: The network location cannot be reached. For information about network troubleshooting, see Windows Help.
4 REPLIES 4

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
I refuse to use IDR myself. Seen too many bitches about it here on the forums. If I'm in that situation, then I want to know exactly what is going on and exactly what failed, if something does. All IDR does is what you would do manually, but with a wizard between you and what is going on.

Install a basic OS with networking
Connect to the media server
Restore
Boot

(Unless they've added something since the original IDR, :) )

Anyway, when you specify the media server name, can you use the format "domain\servername" rather than just "servername"

Shraddha_Dhaval
Level 6
Hi,

Error "Unable to establish connection with the backup server" could occur when the remote machine's driver for NIC is not present in the Windows operating System. NIC drivers which are not present in the Operating system
should be provided manually at the time of restore.

You may refer following technote:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/273066

Please verify the following details :

-- Always ensure that Backup Exec service account(BESA) is a member of
Domain Administrator and local administrator group only.Remove it from
users and Backup operator groups.This would eliminate any most restrictive
permissions being applied.

-- Alternatively you may like try keeping the password for the Backup Exec
service account blank. Change the password for the Backup Exec service
account on the BE media server and keep it blank (no password). Reinitiate
the Intelligent Disaster Recovery process on the remote system and verify
that you are able to connect to the BE Media server.
Note : When connecting to the BE Media server from the remote system
specify the BE Media server credentials using the following :

- BE media server system name as the Domain name.

- Administrator login name.

- Blank password.

Thanks.

Eric_Lanyon
Level 4
Partner
Still no luck. :(

I created a new Domain Admin account and added it to the Media Server's Local Admin group. Changed BE services to use the new account, rebooted with no luck. I removed the password from the account, altered the services, rebooted, no luck. I tried using the Media Server's IP instead of name...no luck. :( Below is my error log.

For the Machine name I am doing DELL1750.TESTBED.COM
For the Domain: TESTBED.COM
User Name: BESA
Pwd:

BESA is a DA and Local Admin on the Media Server. This makes no sense since I know BESA (and the other account I was using is a DA) have "god" rights on this test network. It's a very simple network, with 4 machines on a switch, no port filtering, etc.

: Error 1326 returned from WNetAddConnection2 when trying to connect to resource \\DELL1750.TESTBED.COM\c$.
Error Message: Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.

: Trying to connect to media server using resource name \\192.168.1.90\c$...
: Error 1326 returned from WNetAddConnection2 when trying to connect to resource \\192.168.1.90\c$.

: Unable to add service account to the local Administrators group
: Error 2202 returned from WNetAddConnection2 when trying to connect to resource \\DELL1750.TESTBED.COM\c$.
Error Message: The specified username is invalid.

: Error 2202 returned from WNetAddConnection2 when trying to connect to resource \\192.168.1.90\c$.

: Error 1326 returned from WNetAddConnection2 when trying to connect to resource \\DELL1750.TESTBED.COM\c$.

: Error 1326 returned from WNetAddConnection2 when trying to connect to resource \\192.168.1.90\c$.

: Error 5 returned from RPCConnection->Connect via ncacn_ip_tcp.
Error Message: Access is denied.

: Error 5 returned from RPCConnection->Connect via ncacn_np.

: If your media server is a member of a workgroup and not a domain, please specify the media server computer name in place of a domain or workgroup name.
Access denied errors can also be caused by invalid credentials or insufficient privileges. Please verify that you are providing valid credentials with sufficient privileges. : Unable to add service account to the local Administrators group
: Error 2202 returned from WNetAddConnection2 when trying to connect to resource \\DELL1750.TESTBED.COM\c$.

: Error 2202 returned from WNetAddConnection2 when trying to connect to resource \\192.168.1.90\c$.

: If your media server is a member of a workgroup and not a domain, please specify the media server computer name in place of a domain or workgroup name.
Access denied errors can also be caused by invalid credentials or insufficient privileges. Please verify that you are providing valid credentials with sufficient privileges.

Access denied errors can also be caused by invalid credentials or insufficient privileges. Please verify that you are providing valid credentials with sufficient privileges. : Unable to add service account to the local Administrators group

Access denied errors can also be caused by invalid credentials or insufficient privileges. Please verify that you are providing valid credentials with sufficient privileges.

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

The error message will be generated when a remote Intelligent Disaster Recovery operation is attempted on a network that does not use Microsoft Windows Internet Naming Service (WINS).
The Intelligent Disaster Recovery option relies on WINS to translate computer network names to an IP address for browsing and intercommunication over TCP/IP networks.

To resolve this error

1. Use the IP address instead of the server name in order to establish a network connection.

2. Add the IP address and name of the remote machine on the media server "hosts" file-C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc and then connect and verify the result.

3. Connect to the Remote server from the media server by going to Start>Run\\Server name; when asked for credentials enter the logon account and password. Verify if it can be connected to.

3. Refer to the following technote:

"Unable to establish connection with the backup server" is returned when attempting to perform an Intelligent Disaster Recovery (IDR) of a remote server using VERITAS Backup Exec (tm).

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/237615.htm

Thank You,

Shweta