cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IDR restore for Win2003 fail to format HDD, saying that the disk is damaged

towwei_lim
Level 3
Partner
I have created IDR boot cd and tried booting from CD. it booted, but fails with error "Cant format C, the disk might be damaged......."

The IDR CD boots and works fine till it wants to format, saying that the disk is damaged. At this point, I simply cannot get IDR working any further.

but the funny thing is, when i load up windows 2003 setup CD, i was able to format it, and IDR has done all the repartitioning. it seems like IDR is juz unable to format it after repartition it.

the server's hardware is all the same as i am testing IDR before deployment.

would love some suggestions. Can anyone help out?
8 REPLIES 8

SANDEEP_PILLAY
Level 6
Hi,

We suggest that you recreate the IDR bootable CD by following the exact steps given in the following technote :
Make Sure that the option "let IDR Automatically partition the boot and System Drive" is NOT SELECTED

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/257061.htm

You may refer to following technote for recovery using IDR

http://support.veritas.com/docs/262134
Also make sure that the ASR files are there in the IDR Bootable CD.

We hope this will help.

Please update us on the issue so that If the issue still persists we can troubleshoot the issue further.

If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be presumed to be answered and will be marked as assumed answered and archived.

Thanks.

towwei_lim
Level 3
Partner
hi,

the system that i was trying to restore is windows 2003 server standard edition.

when i ran the IDR wizard to create the bootable cd image, there was no " Let IDR Automatically partition the boot and System Drive" checkbox available for me to check on.

i have referred to the manual, and it seems like this option/check box is only available for windows 2000 system. am i right ? my impressionn is, in windows 2003, ASR files are the ones that do the partioning and all.

if there is such option in windows 2003, do advice where to disable it. thanks

stephen_dyson
Level 3
take a dos disk and blow away any disk structure you have then rerun the IDR CD, this should sort this issue which appears to one of many with the IDR product.

Christian_Kiehn
Level 3
with bews idr and windows 2003 ASR you have to provide the same or more physical hard disk space to recreate the volumes.
rgds ck

towwei_lim
Level 3
Partner
hi all,

i used back the same IDE hard disk to do the restore. thus the capacity is the same as before i crashed the system to do an IDR restore.

i also have tried to manually wipe off all the partition to become only one single partition. IDR didnt manage to format the disk too. but strangely it had repartitioned it. juz wanst able to format it.

towwei_lim
Level 3
Partner
hi again,

i dunno whether the hardware will affect the IDR restore or not, but FYI, the server is running on AMD opteron processor. 64bit capable, but i ran windows 2003 server on it though.

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello,

I request you to send us the exact error message and the exact procedure you are following.

Regards

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Madhuri_Shenoy
Level 6
As per our previous reply, marking the case as "assumed answered" and moving it to "answered questions" pool.