cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Impossible to update remote agents from server?

Henrik_Nejmann
Level 4

Hi all,

I have a really annoying problem running the BE 12.5 (all hotfixes applied) server on Windows 2008 Std. x64 and installing the Agents to Server 2003 R2/2008 x86/x64. The problem is the agents install (push from server) just fine but if I try to reinstall it tells me there are available updates to the Agents but it just wont install them (it either does it really fast telling me everything went fine or times out)!

Even if I try to completely reinstall the Agents it still tells me there areavailable updates to them - shouldn't the server update the RAWS32/64 folders?

What am I missing here?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

ddoehr
Not applicable
I got this to work by stopping the service for Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows System, and also stopping the process for vxmon.exe (BE Remote Agent Utility) using task manager, then pushing the updates from the server.  The agent version on there now (as of Jan 6, 2010) is 12.5.2213.158
sweet!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Kevin_Cotreau
Level 6
Make sure that port 10000 is not being blocked by any of the Windows firewalls.

Henrik_Nejmann
Level 4

Well that didn't work.

If I choose to Install Agents...I get a notification like this:

The Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Systems version.

12.5.2213 has been detected on the target computer xx-xx-xx.

There are 7 updates  which will be applied to the Remote Agent.

Do you want to continue?

I continue and it tells me the installation went ok, but if I rerun the process the same happens.

This has been tested on both 2003 and 2008 with or without Windows Firewall enabled.

Kevin_Cotreau
Level 6

You said it went OK.

Have you gone to the target server and seen if the service has been installed? Also to to the C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\RAWS directory and run vxmon.exe and make sure that everything is ok on the publishing tab.

Once it puts the icon in the Systray, you can also right-click it and determine what version it has been installed.

Henrik_Nejmann
Level 4

Hi Kevin,

It just tells me it's the same version as before 12.5 2213.0. 

Thanks for your help.

Kevin_Cotreau
Level 6

Sorry, but I could not find anything about that error message anywhere.

FYI, the latest version seems to be 12.5 2213.101.

RoninV
Level 4

With the following items confirmed; (1) Backup Remote Agent Service is running, (2) beremote.exe process is running, and (3) that the remote agent appears in the backup selections tree, under Favorite Resources and under Domains, is there any to beleive the agent is not properly communicating with the Backup Exec installation? Does the Agent icon HAVE to be visible in the systray?

On a few occasions, I've gotten failed backups because of lost communication with the agent. Is there an Remote Agent to Backup Exec installation ping test?

Kevin_Cotreau
Level 6

Have you checked what versions of the remote agents you have?

To answer your question, the agent icon does not have to be in the Systray.

Lastly, failed backups to to loss of network communications happen. If they become significant, I would segregate the jobs by server and start the jobs one minute apart in the order you want them to run. I prefer to queue the jobs up this way over using priorities, but that is just my personal preference since it is more obvious what you did to anyone who comes later.

Darkmoon
Level 2

Hi.

I have the same issue on our servers.

After the update process it still tells me there are a few updates which should be applied.

The beremote.exe file version at the moment on the remote server is 12.5.2213.101 and has a size of 1,122,632 bytes.

So it seems that there is no need at the moment to upgrade the remote agent.

But why does it tell me that there are still updates available?

Does this update process not working as symantec is expecting?

Thanks

ddoehr
Not applicable
I got this to work by stopping the service for Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows System, and also stopping the process for vxmon.exe (BE Remote Agent Utility) using task manager, then pushing the updates from the server.  The agent version on there now (as of Jan 6, 2010) is 12.5.2213.158
sweet!