cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In-place upgrade from v9.1.4691 to v11d database migration fails

Brent_Gardner
Level 3
I'm trying to upgrade Backup Exec from v9.1.4691 to v12.5 on a media server. Of course, one can't upgrade directly from v9.1.4691 to v12.5, so I'm upgrading to v11d as an intermediate step.

This is supposed to work, but the upgrade process keeps failing to migrate the databases. Catalogs seem to be properly migrated because I can browse file selections in the restore job wizard.

The install log contains messages like:

Could not drop Device Media View view
Could not add Notes column to the Version table
Database Exception 0xcf, source:Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server, result:0x80040e14, Invalid column name 'PartitionID'
Failure -536837662 running migration library 1

What do I need to do to get this to work?

I have a ghost image of the server so I can keep trying as often as I like.

Server specs:

Dell PowerEdge 850
- 3GHz Pentium D
- 4GB RAM
- Adaptec ASC-1045 PCIe SAS controller
- Overland Storage ARCvault 24 with 2 LTO-4 drives

Windows Server 2003
- Standard Edition
- 32-bit
- SP2

SQL Server 2005 Express Edition with Advanced Services

Brent Gardner
IPRO Tech, Inc.

2 REPLIES 2

Symboy
Level 6
Accredited Certified
 Please try following steps 

a)Copy Data and Catalogs folder from 9.1 before you start upgrade 

1) Rename C:\program files\symantec\backup exec\data\bedb_dat.mdf to bedb_dat.new and bedb_log.ldf to bedb_log.new 
2) From the data directory directory you copied out in Step (a) copy the bedb_log.ldf and bedb_dat.mdf file into C:\program files\symantec\backup exec\data
3) Start the SQL service
4). Start Registry Editor. To do so, click Start | Run, type regedit, and then click OK
5). Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\symantec\backup exec for windows\Backup Exec\Install
In the right pane edit or create a new string value key called 'Upgrade Version' and set the value as 9.1.4691
From a command line, run Backup Exec migration program "BEMIG.EXE". BEMIG.EXE can be found in the \Program Files\syamtnec\Backup Exec\ directory

Let me know if that help!!!!!!

Brent_Gardner
Level 3
Thanks for your comment, Zaki.

This appears to be the same as the procedure found in seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/286729.htm.  This didn't work for me.  It either flat-out fails or it produces output similar to what I posted before from the upgrade log and fails. 

I'm going to try the procedure listed in seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/318321.htm next.