cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incompatible drivers on Windows 2003 Storage Server

Timh_2
Level 2
We are trying to get backup exec 9.1 working on a new system running the Windows 2003 storage server OS. We have a Quantum Superloader SDLT320 connected via SCSI and upon installing veritas we get the message:

"Backup Exec installs drivers that are incompatible with this version of Windows. For more information, contact VERITAS."

What is odd is that while Windows does recognize the autoloader, in Backup Exec it is listed under 'stand alone drives' and not under 'robotic libraries', and there is no SLOTS item under which would list each of the autloaders slots.

Would anyone know of different drivers or a solution to get this to work on this particular OS?

Thanks

13 REPLIES 13

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Are you using the latest driver pack? 

Timh_2
Level 2
I have attempted to install these exact drivers but for some reason it does not complete, it returns with this message in a dialog  box:

Install Wizard Error

"The wizard was interrupted before Veritas windows nt and windows 2000 device drivers could be completely installed. your system has not been modified. to complete installation at another time, please run setup again.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Hmmm

Try this

Remove the drive in BackupExec (Devices tab, right click the device\remove)

Remove the device in Windows Device Manager

Boot

Cancel the "Found New Hardware" dialog

Run TAPEINST again

You may need to edit the output devices in your job(s), depending on how BackupExec names the new devices

Message Edited by Ken Putnam on 09-24-2007 09:50 AM

Timh_2
Level 2
I followed your suggestions.

Removed quantum device from Backup Exec devices tab
Removed/uninstalled the quantum autoloader and tape drive from windows device manager
Rebooted

But upon boot I received no add hardware wizard and the autoloader/tape drive devices were apparantely autoinstalled. Under medium changers, the "Quantium DLT5120L Superloader" has Quantum drivers, and under Tape drives is the "Quantum SDLT 320 Tape drive" which also has Quantum drivers NOT Veritas drivers as our other working backup exec server had. I tried to run tapeinst anyway and it appeared to be successful in installing the drivers but nothing has changed in backup exec or the device manager.

Running out of ideas on what to do to get this to work.

Thanks again for your assistance Ken

Message Edited by Timh on 09-24-2007 10:51 AM

Message Edited by Timh on 09-24-2007 11:21 AM

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
'Fraid I'm out of suggestions at this point

You may have to break down and open an incident with Symantec Smiley Sad

Message Edited by Ken Putnam on 09-24-2007 11:31 AM

farbest
Level 2
Timh, we are having the same issue.  Did you ever find a resolution?

wow2008
Level 2
Hoooooooooooo, I got this problem too with the windows storage server 2003 R2. i don't know what should i do? Have anyone had any resolution for this particular issue? Thanks.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Windows 2003 R2 is only supported on v10.1 (10d) and higher.  See http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/281856.htm

wow2008
Level 2
So, that means the problem can be solved if i updated Backup Exec9.1 to 10d. Is that right? Thanks.

farbest
Level 2
Document 261695 http://support.veritas.com/docs/261695 indicates that Backup Exec 9.1 is compatible with Windows Server 2003 (Std., Enterprise, DC, Web) 32 bit only, SP1.  However, we receive the incompatible driver issue.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Have you tried manufacturer drivers rather than the Symantec ones?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Correct

Symatec no longer sells v10d tho, only v11d

(You can usually find older versions on EBay or the other Auction sites )

farbest
Level 2
We tried the manufacturer's driver, but it only recognized one of the tape slots.