cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incorrect Media Type Listed

Chad_Nicholls
Level 3
I am using Backup Exec 10d on a Windows 2000 server, with a Dell PV124T Autoloader with a Certance Ultrium 2 LTO-2 Tape Drive.

Currently my LTO-2 tapes are being recognized as an LTO-1 tape by Backup Exec. They should have a compressed total capacity of 400GB but only 200GB od data is beig written to each tape.

I have installed the latest service pack and drivers for Backup Exec, and I have been using brand new tapes, with no luck. Backup Exec still views the media as an LTO tape.

Is there a fix out there for this?

ChadMessage was edited by:
Chad Nicholls
8 REPLIES 8

aravind_kondapa
Level 6
Compression Issue:
Did you select Hardware or Software compression. If not try doing so.
For more information:
http://support.veritas.com/docs/199542

NOTE: If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Chad_Nicholls
Level 3
I have Hardware Compression selected.

Chad_Nicholls
Level 3
I have tried with both hardware and software compression.

When I look at the media properties it says LTO for media type.Message was edited by:
Chad Nicholls

Chad_Nicholls
Level 3
Anyone?

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi,

Go to Backup Exec console > Tools > Option > media management > Media lable

and check the correct media type ..

Update us on the same and revert for any further Query
Hope this will help you

Thank you
Gauri

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Chad_Nicholls
Level 3
I have made the change but a new LTO2 tape is still shown as having a max capacity of 200GB instead of 400GB.

Daniel_Streefke
Not applicable
I am having the exact same problem.

We've got a HP NAS 2000s, which is basically a DL380G3 with a SATA disk array hanging off it. It runs Windows Server 2003 Appliance Edition.

We've got a Quantum SuperLoader with a HP Ultrium2 drive.

I just rebuilt the NAS the other day due to severe stability and other issues. Installed BE10, installed SP4, so i'm currently at 10.0 Rev5484

We noticed that the backups were going very slow (350-450MB/Min). At least half the speed of their pre-rebuild state.

I then checked the drive properties, and noticed that there is no LTO-2 media listed in the allowed media types. BE seems to pick up the stats that the drive is an Ultrium2, but the media type listed is simply 'LTO' in the 'General' tab of the drive properties. From memory I thought it was supposed to say LTO2 there as well.

I then checked the media that I had in there, and the tapes were not being recognised as LTO2 tapes.

Oh, and i'm using only Veritas drivers. I haven't installed anything prior to installing BE.

Shraddha_Dhaval
Level 6
Hi,

Is the issue still persists?

Please update us on the same.

Thanks.