cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incremental Backup

beaujoire
Level 5

Hi,

Yesterday,I configured Incremental Backup on my daily Job but the Job seems to work as a complete backup. Time to backup is the same than before.

Any Ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Simply,BE2010 probaly need to launch one full backup after configuring Incremental in order to have a 'screenshot'' of the selections and dates.

Correct.  You need a FULL completed before you run an INCR or DIFF

Normally, one does regular FULL (over the weekend, say) and INCR or DIFF the rest of the week

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Are you using Archive Bit or Modified Time?

Are you using the same selection list for the FULL and INCR jobs?

It's been a while but used to be, some virus scans would reset the  Last Modified date rather than just the Last Accessed date  thus producing (in effect) a FULL the next time the backup ran.  Are there any system jobs that would touch or scan all the files on the computer?

macpiano
Level 6

Why are you using inc and not differential. On a restore you only need the 2 backups no matter what time period.. On the inc you could have several to accomplish the same thing.

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

What is the data that you have selected for the backups??

If you are backing any database then the option for Full or Incremental should be set from the respective Agent tab in the Backup job properties.

The Option of Full  / Incr in the General tab is applicable only for Files and folders backups.

Thanks,

-Sush...

EdMurphy
Not applicable

I seem to be having the same trouble with newly reconfigured incremental backups.  We were previously using differentials, but in order to save time during the backup window, and available backup volume space, we're looking to change to incrementals.

When I look at the files being backed up , it does not appear as though the archive bit is being reset, so the files are being included in every incremental, rather than only files changed since either the last full or incremental.

beaujoire
Level 5

Its ok for me , I use Incremental Backup with Last Modified date.

Simply,BE2010 probaly need to launch one full backup after configuring Incremental in order to have a 'screenshot'' of the selections and dates.

This morning the incremental backup was done.

Thanks

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Correct.  You need a FULL completed before you run an INCR or DIFF

Normally, one does regular FULL (over the weekend, say) and INCR or DIFF the rest of the week