Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Individual Mailboxes Not Showing.

cjj
Level 2
Hi all

Our setup is the following

Exchange 2003 (v6.5 Build 7638.2 Server Pack 2)
Windows 2003 Server
Backup Exec 11d Rev 7170 with Service Pack 4, Hot Fix 62 and 64 installed.

In the backup options under the Microsoft Exchange option I have ticked "Enable the restore of indivdual mail messages and folders from Information Store backups.

The administrator account has an email box with one mail mail in it and is an Exchange administrator, there are also no error's that I can see in the backup logs, however when I try and restore an individual mailbox or email I am not getting the list of users under First Storage Group\Mailbox Store which I assumed would list everyones mailbox under it.

Does anyone know what the problem could be?  Am I doing something wrong?  I have been through so many pages of Google and not really got anywhere, below is a backup log from what I think is the relevant section.

"Family Name: "Media created 17/04/2009 22:45:04"
Backup of "\\BARR004\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group "
Backup set #2 on storage media #1
Backup set description: "Daily Backup"
Backup Method: Full - Database & Logs (flush committed logs)
Microsoft Exchange Server Agent: Started
The option to enable the restore of individual items from the database backup was selected for this backup.

Backup started on 17/04/2009 at 23:52:27.

Backup Set Detail Information
Log Files
Directory Mailbox Store (BARR004)
Directory Public Folder Store (BARR004)

Backup completed on 18/04/2009 at 00:06:18.

Backup Set Summary
Backed up 2 Exchange Server stores
Backed up 3 Exchange Server logs
Processed 20,676,827,702 bytes in 13 minutes and 51 seconds.
Throughput rate: 1424 MB/min"

Hope someone can help.

Cheers
Chris
7 REPLIES 7

DR0701
Level 5
Hi Chris

Are you backing up to tape or disk, as the Granular Restore Technology (GRT) that allows you to drill down into the Information Store backup only works if you are backing up to disk?

Doug.

cjj
Level 2
Hehe

Atleast I got the message!!

Yea I am backing up to Tape, is there no way around this?  I am actually doing a backup to disk at the moment as I read somewhere about it so will see if that works.

Does this mean my backup solution is flawed?  As backing up to disk I can't get the data offsite?

Cheers

DR0701
Level 5
Hi

What we do here is a separate Exchange backup to disk, which then gets duplicated to tape - the full nightly backup then runs and appends to that tape, so all the data can be taken offsite the next day.

Hope this helps

Doug.

cjj
Level 2
Very much so, thanks I will get this setup

Cheers
Chris

DR0701
Level 5
No worries - happy to help

BakerD
Level 3
Why are there so many posts on this subject and no known solution?  Or people are not posting back the fix.

I have several environments setup and some work and some don't.  It shouldn't matter if the backup is to disk or to tape, when you go to restore and drill down to the storage group and you are using GRT with the individual mailbox option checked in the job you should be able to see mailboxes and items under the storage group.

I'm seeing this on both version 11D and 12.5. The weird things is that I have one server that backs up multiple exchange 2003 servers all on the same domain and setup the same way. A couple of the servers are fine, I can see mailbox selections when I go to restore. Others I can only get as far as the storage group.

So using the same account etc and it works on some servers and not others. It used to work to when we first set everything up. If I go under Tools -> Options - Exchange and check to enable legacy backups, the account used to back up can see all the mailboxes. So this leads me to believe it is not a rights/permissions issue.

I have another standalone environment running 11D and Exchange 2003 and on a restore I can see mailboxes. Then I have a test environment running 12.5 and Exchange 2003 and can't see mailboxes on a restore. I have compared things and can't figure it out.

Has anyone figured this one out yet?

Thanks