cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Info req for multiple backup

Ice72
Level 2
hi,

I need to use ver. 11 on a Win 2003 enterprise srv. x64 with two "HP StorageWorks MSL5000" library connected to two server SCSI port.  The server have 4 disks: 2xRAID1 [C:,D:] + 2xRAID1 [E:].

Can ver. 11 backup on the two MSL5000 with 2 concurrent jobs? I need that a job read from a disk (C: and D:) and the other job from another disk (E:).

Another question: if I use NetBackup, to backup some server via network, I must substitute "backup exec 11",
on the server with two MSL5000, which NetBackup server, or "backup exec 11" could be used as a netBackup
server?

TIA
3 REPLIES 3

Patty_McGowan
Level 6
Employee
Hi,

NetBackup and Backup Exec can not work together.

With Backup Exec you can run a backup concurrently to two different drives.

Does that answer your questions?

Patty

Ice72
Level 2
Yes, thanks. One other info: for handle two tape-library I need two "backup exec 11" licences?

TIA

Michael_McKenne
Level 6
You will need one license for BE per box you intend to run it on.   I had four tape drives and now three tape drives running on BE 10D and 11D with no issues.   Make sure you have SCSI disconnect enabled on the SCSI controller.   Make sure you SCSI controller is on a separate bus from the SCSI RAID or hard drive controller for best performance. 

I run
Channel A:
Exabyte VXA-320 (12 Mbps)

Channel B:
Exabyte VXA-2 (6 MBps)
HP DAT 40i (3 Mbps)

Each channel can handle 320 Mbps.   I get full tape performance from all drives running concurrently.   When I had the second VXA-320 on channel B.  I was getting 2.2 GB / min concurrent backup speed from all four drives.